Ambitious gardening project - advice

ATC1983

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries Andy, it's a touchy subject for me as I am struggling with lack of work at the mo, I have lost several jobs lately, not to professional outfits but to people with no training, insurance, propper kit etc and I have been thinking of jacking it in. I have been going 11 years now and pumped alot of money and time into my company and dont want to loose it.I agree it's hard when starting out and this forum can be a great help to people.

11years, then you recall the same scenario time after time as well. It always goes around like this, Ive been struggling too, since October last year, and Ive had to work really hard to pick things up again. Good luck, itll come good again :thumbup1:

No worries Andy, it's a touchy subject for me as I am struggling with lack of work at the mo, I have lost several jobs lately, not to professional outfits but to people with no training, insurance, propper kit etc and I have been thinking of jacking it in. I have been going 11 years now and pumped alot of money and time into my company and dont want to loose it.I agree it's hard when starting out and this forum can be a great help to people.

My last post was trying to address your opinion and recognise that you have a right to it whilst disagreeing with it.

I empathise with you and thanks for elaborating in this way. I agree with you and am suffering the same thing.

But its a tough world and getting tougher and I believe that everybody especially the young ones have a right to a pop at it. The work that is.:thumbup1:

personally I think this thread is well balanced in its help/criticism ratio.

Theres loads of advice on how to do the job plus on how to price the job.

What more could the OP want.

The OP may read through this in a months time and realise this- honest views and advice from arbtalk members- makes the forum what it is- we don't want a forum where we are censored in expressing our views or bullied into toeing the party line-(beyond the obvious)-

That doesn't make good debate.

So lets not be afraid to say what we feel- in that way we explore (through others different opinions) where we stand on an issue beyond 'knee jerk' reaction. Losing work to professional outfits is just business. Losing work to start ups who then go on to criticise guys (for charging too much)who have been at it for years is pretty hard to take especially when times are hard

Rest assured, i have no intention of censoring anything that is posted within the forum guidelines. However, if someone is getting lambasted for doing the same as many others have done in their past, i shall step in to add balance. Dont forget, though moderators, we also have an opinion to be expressed, and tbh I toned down my response as I am a Mod.

Storm in a teacup

The guy needs to charge more= sound advice/criticism call it what you want.

He's lucky we are here to tell him

When I started out , Arbtalk didn't exist- come to think of it, the internet didn't exist!!!

Mobile phones were big as bricks

Hell- a lot's gone on in that time

Exactly right, and the forum works well across the board of our industry. A person setting up a business now in any aspect of tree work can hit the ground running if he reads through this forum first. A lifetime of experiences in one place, what more could you ask for.:thumbup1:

APC, since your post about 40 years of women managers I've changed my mind a bit.

I thought you wanted to play at this game charging cash pocket money to supplement your £19k, but if you're serious about it then fair play to you. You do need to increase your rates though.

Andy, the family members thing regarding EL and min wage is not as straightforward as you make out, but in APC's case I wouldn't stress too much.