Ambitious gardening project - advice

ATC1983

Yeah youre allowed an opinion, and so am I, we differ in our opinions and I happen to diasgree with yours and others in this thread, so what.

I dont see you telling other people to man up, why just me? I thought you were supposed to be a mod on here?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, and in a free country nothing, not even the government, should be allowed to step in to create a false market by either minimum wage or by tax.

What I hate is people criticising me for how I'm starting out when a) there are no other ways for me to start out and b) they started out exactly the same way.

It reminds me of my CS30 course. The trainer told us all about how his dad in the 80s, when there was virtually no health and safety law / bureaucracy in employment law (compared to now) and built up his own firm, which the trainer would inherit when his dad died. When I asked him what's to stop me doing the exact same, he shot off on one about undercutting, no insurance, no practice etc just the fact I was just sugggesting I did exactly what his dad did before him. In other words, his principal reason for believing what he did was not because he could give a toss for the legislation - he told us all about h/s and all that, yet had photos all over his website of him breaking every h/s rule in the book (and for which he threatened to fail us in our cs30) - but because he had an entrenched and inherited interest in others taking his business. That's all it comes down to. The law only exists to protect people who have status.

The main gripe seems to be undercutting through lower overheads due to not paying for as many things as you feel you have to pay for. 'You' being all you lot who feel this way.

Lets say you both quoted the job... Thats the OP and any one of you chaps who feel this way.

Surely this is always going to happen.. different types quoting jobs.

To me the bottom line is that the customer will choose based on his own evaluation of the options presented to him.

:thumbup:

No buisneses overheads are the same thats the way of life. Sometimes you can do a job cheaper than the man down the road sometimes hel beat you hands down.

Sometimes people realise that a proper job is worth paying for and that cheapest isnt always best. Well Sometimes lol

Sorry hodge, it wasnt directed solely at you, more generally at all those who were jumping all over the OP like a rash.

No worries Andy, it's a touchy subject for me as I am struggling with lack of work at the mo, I have lost several jobs lately, not to professional outfits but to people with no training, insurance, propper kit etc and I have been thinking of jacking it in. I have been going 11 years now and pumped alot of money and time into my company and dont want to loose it.I agree it's hard when starting out and this forum can be a great help to people.

I was replying to the thread, not the individual post, that you made. I came in from work had me tea had a shower and sat down and caught up with a pile of stuff including this thread that caught my attention, and to be honest it annoyed me that when a person came on here asking for help I read a load of pages of disgruntled professionals having a pop at the OP, which was more than a little unjustified in my opinion.

Once again Hodge, sorry if you felt I was picking you out with my Man up comment, but I really wasnt.