Ambitious gardening project - advice

ATC1983

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how does a legitimate company with a labourer wishing to earn a living not just beer money compete?

I never get this argument Kev.

Why should I run my outfit with any concern whatsoever to how you are going to compete with me.

We all have different circumstances and if the OPs dad is willing to give him a hand for cheap or for free I see no reason why not.

Your dad might have given you the money to buy a saw, or allowed you the use of part of his farm for a yard. Good luck to you, I'm not going to worry that it isn't fair.

No angry tone here... I just don't get this... how do I compete malarky:001_smile:

I never get this argument Kev.

Why should I run my outfit with any concern whatsoever to how you are going to compete with me.

We all have different circumstances and if the OPs dad is willing to give him a hand for cheap or for free I see no reason why not.

Your dad might have given you the money to buy a saw, or allowed you the use of part of his farm for a yard. Good luck to you, I'm not going to worry that it isn't fair.

No angry tone here... I just don't get this... how do I compete malarky:001_smile:

I tell you what then as well as not paying the LEGAL minimum wage I will also fly tip to save on yard costs and operate without insurance to save even more then I can undercut you every day. For the record it is also against the law to be assisted in your work either payed or unpaid without employers liability insurance.

I fully understand most people do the job for the price they decide and don't just look to price based on other quotes. I am the same and definately not the cheapest in the area however I get a lot of my work from recommendation not price so it doesn't matter to me.

I don't mind people being cheaper than me, competition is healthy, but can we at least play on a level (and legal) playing field. There are dozens of threads posted on here about the industry being undervalued. People willing to offer a service for peanuts is what undervalues the trade.

Again, you are paying your dad less than the national minimum wage which is against the law. Whay are you worth £7 per hour and your dad only worth £4?

Kev, the OP is quite within his rights to pay a family member below the minimum wage, he also is correct in not requiring EL for family members. I would suggest his Dad is just trying to help him get on. Other persons not entitled to min wage are the self employed, those on Job Centre training schemes (up to 6weeks I believe) and volunteers. You may not agree with this, but its hardly the OPs fault, he doesnt make the laws.

Yeah, he's just coming along to help out. He's 64, so isn't as fit or as strong as me, and enjoys a break for a smoke and lager too frequently, but he has many years experience at this type of work. When I finished the last job, I was convinced I didn't have the experience to level out the rest of the garden and didn't want to undertake the work.

However, when my father and I built up the small wheelchair ramp out of the mounds of earth dotted about I considered that it is simpler than it looks. It's a question of relicating this strategy on mass in the garden. My only concern is, having removed the excess soil, do I try to add sand or anything to ensure there is consistency and strength in the earth, and how do I tell or know if the soil will be strong enough to hold when I lay down the turf rolls over it?

The money I'd give to him is just a thank you which I've factored into the cost - he helped me for a few hours on the last job and refused to take a penny - then, when driving by the offy, reconsidered when he knew he could get a crate of carlsberg and a packet of smokes out of the cash.

As for undercutting, even the govt. supports undercutting. I mean it tolerates people taking on apprenticeships at £40 a week (never mind a day),and it routinely involves itself in the labour market in variant ways which are unfair to some companies and business models compared to others. I could go on all night with examples but won't. I'm just trying to learn a trade here to I don't have to work in a boring office with patronising women managers for the next 40 years.

ATC1983, no point in adding sand to the soil. You need to walk it down (pigeon steps to tread down every single bit) and roll it, then rake off high spots and fill in low spots before laying the turf. Once you got the levels correct then rake some decent topsoil over the ground. This gives the turf a good start and also makes laying easier. Roll the turf out, butting it up properly, then board it down, or roll it. Boarding is often easier though as the roller can shift the turfs. Before rolling the turf out, think about where you will start and where you will finish.

Afterwards, plenty of water every day. Even with hosepipe ban, new turf can be watered for a while - you need to call the water board and let them know.

PS, I know all about boring office jobs with patronising managers - did it for 11 years, and if I hadn't walked when I did I'd be like one of my sad mates who are still there 20 years down the line doing the same!

ATC1983, no point in adding sand to the soil. You need to walk it down (pigeon steps to tread down every single bit) and roll it, then rake off high spots and fill in low spots before laying the turf. Once you got the levels correct then rake some decent topsoil over the ground. This gives the turf a good start and also makes laying easier. Roll the turf out, butting it up properly, then board it down, or roll it. Boarding is often easier though as the roller can shift the turfs. Before rolling the turf out, think about where you will start and where you will finish.

Afterwards, plenty of water every day. Even with hosepipe ban, new turf can be watered for a while - you need to call the water board and let them know.

I was told today that landscape excemption for professional companies allowed to water new turf for 28 days- I assume this includes seeding.

Thankfully the water industry has seen sense- it was annoying me watching the immigrant community washing cars with impunity on every road intersection whilst we couldn't use a hose.