A Very British Affair today!

silky fox

Rich, your misinformed, as it stands now only 30% of the Scottish electorate want independance

Even if there was a huge turn of opinion and the people of Scotland vote for independance the Scottish Nationalist Party want to retain the Queen as the Queen of Scotland.

So to you she would be the Queen of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The Union of the Crowns between Scotland and England under King James VI of Scotland (James I of England) predates the Act of Union by 100 years. So the Scottish and the English shared a monarch for a long time before the emergence of the United Kingdom.

Not that any of this matters as the Scottish people probably wont vote for indepenance unless David Cameron plays it wrong.

Could be Boris by then, how would he go down with your country men???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be Boris by then, how would he go down with your country men???

He's irrelevant, it's Cameron and Osbourne that have to play it very carefully, especially Osbourne with his powdered complexion reminiscent of a pompous French Aristocrat just before the Storming of the Bastille, he'd be wise to stay very quiet on the whole issue.

Seriously though Dave, Cameron has a real dilemma on his hands with the Independance referendum, he has to be very careful not to be seen to be lecturing to the Scots on the benefits of the Union and the potential pitfalls of Independance. The tories carry no weight in Scotland, there is only 1 tory MP in Scotland and in the Scottish Parliament they are a minority party.

Alex Salmond although bearing an uncanny likeness to toad of toad hall is a formidable politician who has a gift for capitalising on misplaced rhetoric from the Westminster Tories.

He's irrelevant, it's Cameron and Osbourne that have to play it very carefully, especially Osbourne with his powdered complexion reminiscent of a pompous French Aristocrat just before the Storming of the Bastille, he'd be wise to stay very quiet on the whole issue.

Seriously though Dave, Cameron has a real dilemma on his hands with the Independance referendum, he has to be very careful not to be seen to be lecturing to the Scots on the benefits of the Union and the potential pitfalls of Independance. The tories carry no weight in Scotland, there is only 1 tory MP in Scotland and in the Scottish Parliament they are a minority party.

Alex Salmond although bearing an uncanny likeness to toad of toad hall is a formidable politician who has a gift for capitalising on misplaced rhetoric from the Westminster Tories.

The referendum is not for two year, I would put money on Osbourne not being the chancellor by then.

And Cameron is not doing to well, so there is always a chance Boris will make a bid for the top before then too.

Hi

Good post, watched the pageant this afternoon with our French neighbours - they & many other French are very fond of the Royal Family. We also enjoyed the program narrated by Charles.

Also noticed Kate Middleton was wearing HM Submariners Dolphin badge - BZs all round!

I'm British...I'm not weak. Think of that choir singing in the pouring rain for the Queen yesterday. Thats the whole of the UK. One day it'll stop raining but we'll still be singing. Shut the door on the way out pal..

...In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy seeing the country and the Commonwealth celebrating the Diamond Jubilee together, whatever colour, creed or religion they are :thumbup:

This thread has nothing to do with wether or not the Monarchy or celebrating the reign of the Queen is the right thing to do...it,s about my relationship with the Capital of this country.I have been a visitor to London for about 30 years and have worked and lived here for almost 5...in that time i have noticed that it isn,t excactly encouraged to be proud of being English/British for whatever reason,and that has always made me feel sad...i have no problem with anybody here where ever they are from...but i have noticed a lack of Britishness here. Today restored my faith in a Country that i Love and am so proud to come from..it took me over one hour to reach the river due to the ammount of people that had turned out..i have never seen so many people by the Thames and i have enjoyed many new years eve celebrations here over the years...but this was different.There were so many flags and the atmosphere was so friendly..it was like a breath of fresh air!.....the ammount of River craft was unbelievable..it was lead by "Gloriana" made up of oarsmen like olympians Steve Redgrave and servicemen who had been disabled in conflicts...it was a stunning site gleaming Gold as it cut thriough the grey Thames in the pouring rain....The weather didn,t stop anyone from cheering and the Champagne was flowing in the streets. For me ,today was about enjoying the moment despite the typical British Weather and i will never forget it!

HI FOX nice one mate jon :thumbup: