which arb truck would suit me?? ideas & tips

jnoon

HI All,

as the title suggests im in the market for a new truck, 106 van & trailer getting a bit worn out:biggrin:

Ideally i would love a 4x4 as is ideal for shooting etc out of work, and been in iveco tippers when they are stuck (tipping chip on grass) :confused1:

heres the info i gather/have been told , please tell me your thoughts, then hopefully i will have a bigger list of pros and cons and will then be able to get a new arb truck :001_cool:

any help would be much appreciated, ideally a tipper would be better but i guess theres always room for a converion on the king/super cabs.

mitsi l200 - problems with headgaskets, but overall reasonably priced, good, strong

hilux 2.5 - very reliable, very expensive,

navara - conrod problems

ranger - good but heard they fall apart, and thirsty

landy tipper - easy to maintain, strong, very expensive

transit/cabstar - not 4wd, but tipper, common as muck

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pick ups don't really cut it, unless you don't get through a lot of work in a day, or your customers nearly always keep the rubbish, out of the lot gotta be the transit/Iveco/ cab star or landy tipper if you can afford it and really need 4x4. Or a 4x4 and big tipping trailer.

Pick ups don't really cut it, unless you don't get through a lot of work in a day, or your customers nearly always keep the rubbish, out of the lot gotta be the transit/Iveco/ cab star or landy tipper if you can afford it and really need 4x4. Or a 4x4 and big tipping trailer.

Thanks mate, ideally would like 4x4, its ok saying you dont need it but i sold a vitara to get my van and do miss 4wd!!

As with the 4wd and big tipping trailer tt105 or tt126, i suppose you would need a partner with a suitable veichle to pull the chipper? unless you load it on trailer and then leave a bit of room for it ?

thanks mate

jnoon: I'm in a similar situation to yourself. I'm looking at the options available.

For me, I believe there are two sensible options:

1) Tansit/LDV/Iveco (3.5 ton) tipper.

2) 4x4 pick up (Hilux, L200, etc).

It really depends on your quantity of work. The tipper is a basic works vehicle. Combined with a chipper, the tipper form (whatever model) serves hundreds of tree surgeons around the country. I've used one without a chipper, just brashing the arisings down. If you are getting a lot of work/brash then a tipper is perfect (with or without a chipper). You can fit a lot on a tipper; you can't go wrong with one.

However, I doubt I'll be doing anything big for a while and the vehicle will be my only mode of transport. In my opinion, a 4x4 pick up gives you more options outside of work. I believe it looks a bit more presentable to go to the shops in, nip to the pub, go away at the weekends etc. You can always tow a chipper with the 4x4 if needed for bigger jobs and just empty it throughout the day. Not ideal, but doable.

For these reasons, I'm leaning slightly towards a 4x4 pick up (at the moment).

Edited by KingoftheRing

Jnoon, I use a Ford Ranger on a daily basis, had a tipping chip box built and uprated springs fitted to the rear, works well, i also tow a chipper with it. as to fuel consumption it obviously uses more when loaded and towing other than that for a 4x4 I would say the fuel consumption was average. It may be an option for your to have a 4x4 converted.:thumbup:

Jnoon, I use a Ford Ranger on a daily basis, had a tipping chip box built and uprated springs fitted to the rear, works well, i also tow a chipper with it. as to fuel consumption it obviously uses more when loaded and towing other than that for a 4x4 I would say the fuel consumption was average. It may be an option for your to have a 4x4 converted.:thumbup:

Any pics John? Sounds like a good truck :001_cool: