wirecore lanyard question

Arran Turner

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always tied in twice when chogging down. Used my Swedich strop and then main line put loose around the trunk. Thought it was standard to do that. It was when I was working.

Yep.

I had a discussion with one of the guys that was in to teach us at college who was saying you should just use 2 strops. My arguement was the second strop may be acting as a back up but should the crap hit the fan it does'nt give you a quick way of getting to the ground. This was last year and the outcome was he did'nt appreciate being told he was wrong by a first year climber haha so we did'nt see eye to eye but he's no longer at the college anyway ...

For the sake of tieing a running bowline I don't see the point in making it any more dangerous than it has to be. Self rescue is the best form of rescue afterall.

2 strops (Swedish or wire core) seems odd to me. Like you said, I always prefer to be able to get out of the tree asap if anything goes wrong. Plus, I've already got my main line in the tree, so I don't even need to tie anything; unclip eye from crab, slip round trunk, put back in crab.

Whenever I use my Swedish, I always have this insane fear that if the tree ever split, I would be pinned/crushed. At least, if using my main line, I could cut the prussik and get out of the danger zone (well, that's the idea anyway) :001_smile:

Sorry bud should have made myself clearer!

A soft link is a short sewn loop that goes between a rope grab for example and your harness. So if you had to cut yourself free from the strop you could easily do so. Tried to find a link but I can't get on the gustharts website at the moment.

Edited by will.morris
Edit: Blonde moment

2 strops (Swedish or wire core) seems odd to me. Like you said, I always prefer to be able to get out of the tree asap if anything goes wrong. Plus, I've already got my main line in the tree, so I don't even need to tie anything; unclip eye from crab, slip round trunk, put back in crab.

Whenever I use my Swedish, I always have this insane fear that if the tree ever split, I would be pinned/crushed. At least, if using my main line, I could cut the prussik and get out of the danger zone (well, that's the idea anyway) :001_smile:

If you use your front ring instead of you side ones while chogging down you will not become part of "the squeeze circle"

(tip from David Goss):001_smile:

It's important to remember that if backing up using your main line on a running bowline, should you descend then you will be effectively descending SRT, so you should allow for this in your climbing system.

ie your hitch or whatever you use for DRT won't necessarily work smoothly or at all when in SRT mode.

An alternative is to use an adjustable cambium saver around the stem, so you can leave your system as DRT, but keep a firm grip around the stem with the cambium saver.