working in NZ ,Aus and canada along with other westernised and other countries

i am looking to get away to either NEW ZEALAND , AUSTRALIA , CANADA OR EVEN THE STATES at the end of the year , i hear that the isa has a great deal of members in singapore and hong kong which means i guess they have quiet a big arboriculture industry there

i wanted other peoples views of places theyve worked abroad , including living costs , wages and if your given the time of day there to learn more and a relaxed atmosphere instead of being booted up a tree.

my names nico and i have the following qualifications:

I-PAF international M.E.W.P certificate (static boom)

· Level two diploma in work based trees and timber

· NPTC CS30 -Crosscutting and Chainsaw maintenance

· NPTC CS31- Felling and processing of small trees

· NPTC CS38- Tree climbing and Ariel rescue

· NPTC CS39 - Chainsaw from rope and harness

· Lantra HSE Emergency first aid at work certificate

· NPTC - Wood chipper

all at capel

i wanted to further my education at some point with level 3 of possibly an isa course more focused on tree science and ecology ectalong with further practical training , with what i have qualification wise , would that give me a good chance for work in some of the countries listed above ?

im keen , ive only been doing it for a year but have had a lot of oppertunity . but dont want to chuck myself in the deepend.

anyone got any info for certain places theyve worked for abroad and pros and cons ect.

if anyone could give us a heads up. many thanks all cheers nick

i am looking to get away to either NEW ZEALAND , AUSTRALIA , CANADA OR EVEN THE STATES at the end of the year , i hear that the isa has a great deal of members in singapore and hong kong which means i guess they have quiet a big arboriculture industry there

i wanted other peoples views of places theyve worked abroad , including living costs , wages and if your given the time of day there to learn more and a relaxed atmosphere instead of being booted up a tree.

my names nico and i have the following qualifications:

I-PAF international M.E.W.P certificate (static boom)

· Level two diploma in work based trees and timber

· NPTC CS30 -Crosscutting and Chainsaw maintenance

· NPTC CS31- Felling and processing of small trees

· NPTC CS38- Tree climbing and Ariel rescue

· NPTC CS39 - Chainsaw from rope and harness

· Lantra HSE Emergency first aid at work certificate

· NPTC - Wood chipper

all at capel

i wanted to further my education at some point with level 3 of possibly an isa course more focused on tree science and ecology ectalong with further practical training , with what i have qualification wise , would that give me a good chance for work in some of the countries listed above ?

im keen , ive only been doing it for a year but have had a lot of oppertunity . but dont want to chuck myself in the deepend.

anyone got any info for certain places theyve worked for abroad and pros and cons ect.

if anyone could give us a heads up. many thanks all cheers nick

If you want to learning a relaxed atmosphere you need somewhere that's not subject to commercial pressure, if you,want to learn on the job be prepared to work and have your learning come second to earning the days pay.

I don't know how working abroad as an apprentice is going to work out, most people travelling are out of that stage and doing the "journeyman" thing

I can't fault you for wanting to broaden your horizons but I think you would do better with a little experience under your belt.

Canada's an amazing place to live and work, so many positives but you need to be ready to bust your balls and you need the skills to be competent climbing and falling big hairy trees... It's alot more intense than UK arboriculture, like the guys said get a few years experience then try working abroad.

You need to offer an employer something that makes you stand out from everybody else, would suck if you turned up to do a job that was out of your limits.

Companies like Davey Tree offer 1 year working visas for UK climbers, check them out for Vancouver and Victoria (as well as the states) when you're ready dude.

Good luck!

Alright bud,

I was in a similar position to you but I have a few less tickets, I've been working in England for the last year as a climber. My plan was always to move abroad with work to gain experience. So I worked my socks off, never turned down a day or overtime, climbed every tree when others couldn't be bothered etc. I've personally never been in a relaxed learning environment, it's always been keep up with the team, work hard, ask if you don't know and that's how I learnt. I'm still learning too! The only relaxed atmosphere I can think of is recreational climbing with friends.

Like treequip said you might have to put learning second to working, but if you concentrate you can learn a lot this way as well. Most business scenarios will always be about completing work rather than easing you into a role. Be honest about your abilities when emailing/talking to companies, if you don't then you'll soon get found out.

Anyway, I've just joined one of the large outfits in Vancouver as a climber and I'm a full time worker here. Like George A said Canada is an awesome place, but everything is bigger here so have your head sorted for new challenges. Rent isn't too bad, food/drink is more expensive, pay will always be dependent on how good you are. If you come to Canada be prepared to work hard out here, and get wet on steep hills! (in fact, wherever you go be prepared to work hard!) Good luck to you pal.

P.s it's not always just big tree work, people have hedges here too :001_smile:

It's true that no job is ever going to offer a truely relaxed atmosphere but in a way this is good as it forces you to progress faster and push yourself ... within reason though obviously as it suddenly becomes a very dangerous game if your totally out of your depth. Progression can be defined as working just outside your comfort zone so that you work yourself up to the bigger, more technical stuff in time.

Not every job abroad is going to be massively scary though, NZ/OZ/Canada still have 'normal' sized trees and foreign countries still have council jobs where you'll be pruning non-monsterous street trees most of the time. Honesty is the best policy, ask each individual company what their day to day work is and if they say topping out 200ft beasts everyday then don't go for that job just yet.

hey mark h what firm are you working for man ? ive been hitting up a few small time joints in B.C , im going to do another 2 months after i finish my diploma here then try shoot out there , my girlfriend lives in Calgary and i cant save anything here , just seems like the good choice.

could you send me a list of some good firms to email