which chain oregon or stihl

bob

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stihl for me as well. I think they hold an edge better and get a few more sharpens out of them compared to oregon.

Does anyone else think stihl chains are better finished? Stamped edges all inwards, no square corners (other than the sharp bits obviously!) This must cause less drag in the cut than less well finished chains?

I really like the stihl full chisel chain for the 020, I'd wanted a full chisel climbing saw chain for year, but I find they snap when the chain is only half used, so I gone back to Oregon.

Never heard of that before - how old is the bar they are on?

Does anyone else think stihl chains are better finished? Stamped edges all inwards, no square corners (other than the sharp bits obviously!) This must cause less drag in the cut than less well finished chains?

Stihl chains look better than Oregon - shinier and better finished. Apart from oregon's new 95TXL chain which looks as good and as well finished as the Stihl chains.

They 'break' very differently (when making up chain loops) - Oregon chain breaks with a sharp snap, Stihl chain is 'chewy' as you break it.

Now we have a few Chinese chains in stock we will likely do a chain test/offer soon and give people scores to give each chain ie. appearance/performance out of the box/general performance/stay sharp ability/ease of sharpening/longevity/overall feeling

Something like that :001_smile:

When the company's were separate before the Blount buy out Oregon, Carlton, Windsor, & Sabre were good performing chains. Slowly as the brands were possibly produced in the same plants & on the same machines & brands became NLA the quality of Oregon in Europe at least went south & although more expensive Stihl seemed to be more widely used more so in the company's trying/earning a living working wood With the re intro of Windsor brand In our part of Europe this seems to be better quality than when it disappeared from dealers, but the Once bitten Twice shy, syndrome still holds & commercial guys are loath to change back to kit that might not be of comparable quality it's a time will tell syndrome? So at this time we use Stihl

Stihl chains look better than Oregon - shinier and better finished. Apart from oregon's new 95TXL chain which looks as good and as well finished as the Stihl chains.

They 'break' very differently (when making up chain loops) - Oregon chain breaks with a sharp snap, Stihl chain is 'chewy'

Now we have a few Chinese chains in stock we will likely do a chain test/offer soon and give people scores to give each chain ie. appearance/performance out of the box/general performance/stay sharp ability/ease of sharpening/longevity/overall feeling

Something like that :001_smile:

So what's the deal with the 95XTL? Is it narrower cutters but the same guage or smaller guage as well? Does it require is own bar and sprocket?

Also does it only come in .325?

So what's the deal with the 95XTL? Is it narrower cutters but the same guage or smaller guage as well? Does it require is own bar and sprocket?

Also does it only come in .325?

You can google it for more info - but basically it is a new chain from Oregon - new materials.

I have collated some info here for customers 95TXL Oregon Lo Pro .325 .050. Low profile chain for faster cutting.

It replaces 95vpx. It is supposed to be 15% faster than anything else, takes a slightly thinner kerf and excellent stay sharp ability.

It looks different to all the other Oregon chains - you need a new bar to run it (as it is .050 and not .058 or .063 gauge).

:001_smile: