Massaria on the March

I was at a meeting on tree health yesterday and was asked whether I thought there had been a reduction (within my area of management) in massaria occurances this year due to the weather.

I think that from your posts and from what I find out there (like this one of five planes that has massaria that we worked on today in north London) that the answer appears to be (with particular reference to full canopy trees) that it's still out there with significant presence.

definitely more this year than last, at least on the ones I look at!

• 5 months later...

ongoing management checking the Plane populations three times a year as per guidance, but still finding new Massaria branches whilst out doing other tasks & looking at other trees.

Here's this mornings collection of infected branches whilst carrying out an oak proccessionary moth inspection.

Worth looking up even when focussing on other things.

Noted that the plane Anthracnose was starting to be fairly heavy also.

IMG_1118.jpg.96fbedbcba3186f3486e10113c24539b.jpg

IMG_1117.JPG.dea14ac3d0bb2069d4f95cbc966b79a0.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG.d8e6f30fff28acf40e64651ee5e86e9b.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG.b050c5e6fbe98156143bd6c48b3dd38f.JPG

• 1 year later...
On top of a whole heap of massaria affected branches taken out today, this one shows the early onset of the dysfunction well (on a signifcantly sized branch)

Was this noticed whilst in the tree removing other ones David? Its a shame that it has to be removed ( although an absolute necessity I'm sure) as it would be interesting to monitor the rate of decay.