Massaria on the March

Are you keeping a DBH record David of the larger branches? I'm starting to do that but wish I had started earlier. This week in Green Park we removed a branch that had a DBH of 24 and in Hyde Park there are a few that are well over 30 which I'll get the accurate DBH of and length if possible.

We've also noticed the different types of colonisation strategy in different affected MDP branches. Maybe there are two or more different subspecies?

Across the Royal Parks we've had nearly 1,200 Plane trees have Massaria branches removed but in terms of total affected trees it's pretty much all of them, ranging from small twiggy branches to much larger ones.

Are you keeping a DBH record David of the larger branches? I'm starting to do that but wish I had started earlier. This week in Green Park we removed a branch that had a DBH of 24 and in Hyde Park there are a few that are well over 30 which I'll get the accurate DBH of and length if possible.

We've also noticed the different types of colonisation strategy in different affected MDP branches. Maybe there are two or more different subspecies?

Across the Royal Parks we've had nearly 1,200 Plane trees have Massaria branches removed but in terms of total affected trees it's pretty much all of them, ranging from small twiggy branches to much larger ones.

We did use the Islington recording sheet at the beginning, but tbh we've stopped doing this.

I've got lots of photographic records though, showing branch length, Cardinal point, diameter and context.

It's now just an ongoing normal part of our weekly job sheet :(

• 4 months later...

Hey David... So this has come up on the contract I am working on in Brooklyn. I have been coming across pink dying branches, up to 10 inches... whole limbs, with buds on the end... so its a fast killer.. Im not too much up on my THC... but this affects the job spec I am on.

I took some pics of an infected branch today. ill try and upload. Do you have any pics of the black spores?

Hey David... So this has come up on the contract I am working on in Brooklyn. I have been coming across pink dying branches, up to 10 inches... whole limbs, with buds on the end... so its a fast killer.. Im not too much up on my THC... but this affects the job spec I am on.

I took some pics of an infected branch today. ill try and upload. Do you have any pics of the black spores?

Howdee Ben

Thanks for sharing this mate.

Do you know if Massaria is recorded anywhere in NYC?

The following images show what I believe are (though not microscopically confirmed) the early developing black ascospore fruit bodies on Massaria infected branches from trees at work.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1481187813.311949.jpg.7cc503b23dcf1a1939aee5138750929a.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1481187832.333350.jpg.928be6c49b1256035baf65d2f4eb92ac.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1481187854.003153.jpg.4abdf2ea0d27bf6743552bb303625142.jpg

Claus Mattheck's book 'Body Language of Trees the encyclopaedia of visual tree assessment' has a really good section (p 498) on ascomycete fungi that effect branches which includes macro images of the fruitbodies on the surface of the bark and also micro shots of the fruitbodies in cross section.

Certainly interested in seeing your images if you get the chance to upload them.

Cheers David. It had been known in Brooklyn for two years. First time I have come across it. Noticing pink top dead branches that look alive... anyway I am awaiting word from the big boss as to whether it's in the contract to remove the infected limbs. Hope yer well man.

Cheers David. It had been known in Brooklyn for two years. First time I have come across it. Noticing pink top dead branches that look alive... anyway I am awaiting word from the big boss as to whether it's in the contract to remove the infected limbs. Hope yer well man.

Good thanks Ben,

I tried googling Massaria in the USA but didn't find much.

If it is Massaria then removal is critical if they are above targets. Still no fatalities here in the UK but there have been a growing number of near misses.

Have you seen the Massaria guidance document on this thread.....

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/66452-massaria-disease-plane-practical-management-guidance.html

Useful info on the disease and recommendations for inspection and prunning works.

Imagine as that guidance was developed in London it would be as relevant for the big apple.

Edited by David Humphries