Raised beds, growing veggies, tomatoes, carrots etc etc blah blah

Steve Bullman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That big triangle has hurt my head:lol:

Think we need a Ven diagram:thumbup:

My word of advice past the type of soil, grow veg that are easy and where you get a decent crop, some veg are notoriuosly difficult and get eaten by the bugs etc.

My tips - runner beans, courgetes (Zucchini), lettuce, Tomato (best in the greenhouse), cucumber/chilli - also best under glass, onion, leeks -not too much nibbles these - apart from rabbits if you have them.

My woes were brassicas- thats cabbage and broccolie type veg, the cabbage whites love them as do their catapillars:thumbdown:

So - don't be a busy fool, make it easy and get heavy crops for your work, the first year will tell you what you can grow best and what works!

My Mrs grows a bit of veg, she has a very personal vendeta against slugs, its quite funny to see her out in the garden with the head torch on committing mass genacide :laugh1:

does she use the salt technique or slasher knife

I prefer the yoghurt pots with beer dregs in- slugs love it

A good layer of well rotted stable manure is always a good start with soil improving, as well as composted veg waste from the kitchen and decent top soil. A good tip I was given by my Dad was when choosing what to grow, think about what you eat the most that costs the most to buy. Veg like carrots and potatoes are cheap to buy whereas herbs, peppers, courgettes etc are dearer so worth growing. :001_smile:

I must be the lucky one reading posts about crap soil. I got sandy loam in my gardens and haven't used any soil improves, just planted the veg and let it go, If it survives then it's all good.

We planted pots, onions, carrots, strawberries. The tomatoes we planted and put one of those plastic greenhouses from the pound shop over them, then we totally forgot about them, just left them to grow, they were in a sun trap part of the garden that I don't go to a lot. When I finally remembered about them they were growing out the plastic and I had to cut it away, I have never seen so many in my life. They started falling off faster than I could pick them.

Now I always just plant veg and let them grow, if I get something from them fine, if I don't I know not to try again.