Raised beds, growing veggies, tomatoes, carrots etc etc blah blah

Steve Bullman

does she use the salt technique or slasher knife

I prefer the yoghurt pots with beer dregs in- slugs love it

she sometimes uses salt, she did use pots of beer for a while but made her boak when she had to empty them, mostly she collects them up in a pot then flushes them down the pan, i keep waiting for one to come up and bite me on the arse.

a tennis racket is good crack tho.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she sometimes uses salt, she did use pots of beer for a while but made her boak when she had to empty them, mostly she collects them up in a pot then flushes them down the pan, i keep waiting for one to come up and bite me on the arse.

a tennis racket is good crack tho.

anyone for tennis:biggrin:

My dad has started using mushroom compost on the recommendation of a friend.

I have been concerned that it may contain pesticide/herbicide residues and would make the veg grown in it bioaccumulate said residues.

I would be interested in peoples views on this as it is a concern of mine based only on brief research on the internet so I am not sure if my concerns are justified or not

The paragraph below is cut and pasted from wickipedia. Interestingly the same google search turned up an article from the Royal Hort Soc where spent mushroom compost is recommended for growing veg with no mention of any concerns over pesticide residues.

"Mushroom compost may also contain pesticide residues, particularly organochlorides used against the fungus gnat...... Chemicals may also have been used to treat the straw, and also to sterilize the compost. Therefore, the organic gardener must be careful regarding the sourcing of mushroom compost; if in doubt, samples can be analyzed for contamination – in the UK, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is able to advise regarding this issue".

The paragraph below is cut and pasted from wickipedia. Interestingly the same google search turned up an article from the Royal Hort Soc where spent mushroom compost is recommended for growing veg with no mention of any concerns over pesticide residues.

"Mushroom compost may also contain pesticide residues, particularly organochlorides used against the fungus gnat...... Chemicals may also have been used to treat the straw, and also to sterilize the compost. Therefore, the organic gardener must be careful regarding the sourcing of mushroom compost; if in doubt, samples can be analyzed for contamination – in the UK, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is able to advise regarding this issue".

That looks a bit scarey enough to put me off. Recycleing is a good idea but not if it gives you the squits for weeks. I am a bit suspicious of the motives of the powers that be when they sell us our own crap back to show a profit. Remember a year or so ago all across europe they were dropping dead and the link was salad and cucumbers ( probably grown in sewage ) . I thought mushroom compost was made from chicken poo from large broiler farms ( not a pretty sight when they clear them out after 6 weeks )

That looks a bit scarey enough to put me off. Recycleing is a good idea but not if it gives you the squits for weeks. I am a bit suspicious of the motives of the powers that be when they sell us our own crap back to show a profit. Remember a year or so ago all across europe they were dropping dead and the link was salad and cucumbers ( probably grown in sewage ) . I thought mushroom compost was made from chicken poo from large broiler farms ( not a pretty sight when they clear them out after 6 weeks )

Don't see why! They have been spreading human waste on food crops for a while now, I used to have to cultivate it in, it's not a place were you get out the tractor to have lunch.

It's all down to sterilisation, always read the label.

Depends where you get it from and if they sterile it properly.

Mushroom Compost

Your link is interesting as it explains that the sterilising process can be done with steam 'pasteurised' so no chemicals added there.

This is only part of the story though as sterilising only deals with killing the weed seed and bugs component.

It doesn't remove pesticide residues which is my main concern.

You are still correct in saying 'it depends where you get it from' as presumably you can ask them if they have used pesticides. So careful sourcing could be the answer.

Edited by Albedo
sp