poor pay

brewx1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's assume that we need four men and have a budget of £30 an hour. One of them is a particularly good climber and the other three are mediocre at best. With minimum wage, you have to pay them all £7.50 per hour (I don't know what nmw is). Without it, you can pay the good lad £15 an hour and the other three £5 an hour. You get to keep the good lad happy and the other three have an incentive to make more of themselves.

Not so ludicrous when you think about it that way is it?

In the old days, you got what you were worth, no such thing as minimum wages then!! If you were crap at your job, you were got rid of, if you were good at your job, you earned a wage, then a better wage then an even better wage as you progressed through life. Dead wood was removed from the company, good workers encouraged. Unless there was a union, then it alll went downhill fast. By having a minimum wage, everyone keeps a job, albeit on low pay, whether they are good or not. Its harder now to dismiss the idle worker for fear of tribunals and their human rights.

But £7.50 is in excess of the minimum wage, its not bad money, if youre a family man the State will pick up the difference in benefits, if you a lad at home its plenty to live on and pay some keep to your mum.

The minimum wage is IMO totally fair. It is after all, a MINIMUM wage. There is nothing preventing employers paying more for the right person.

Anyone who accepts work at the minimum wage is either desperate to work at any cost, in which case he will accept it, or he does not posess the technical or 'people' skills to warrant a higher paid job.

Those who accept work at the minimum wage should not grumble. If they want to earn more, then they need to market themselves and their skills to prospective employers. If they are as good as they think they are they will find plenty of employers who are currently desperate for good staff and willing to pay the right money to the right person.

Employers who ONLY pay the minimum are only causing problems to themselves as they will never have a happy and efficient workforce.

I pay my casual (one day a week) van driver £12.00 per hour, and £10.00 per hour to the person who washes the machines off prior to service. They are both totally reliable and happy in their work, worth every penny to me.

Well, thats my opinion anyway.

talking about crap pay......:001_rolleyes: whatever next,

people need to man up grow some rollocks and think there lucky stars they have a job.

i started on £30 a day 14 years ago and being self employed for 3 years now 12 years climbing xp i bet my bottom dolla if i worked it out from what i earn now after all expenses not working through lack of work bank holidays when no one will have you round, bad weather, injuries .....the list goes on but i bet i'd say i still earn £30 a day......

FFS...............:thumbdown:

lifes short as we keep hearing about ALL TO often, stop winging and concentrate on what your doing....and if your going to moan about pay then moan about it to your boss.......:sneaky2:

people need to man up grow some rollocks and think there lucky stars they have a job.

i started on £30 a day 14 years ago and being self employed for 3 years now 12 years climbing xp i bet my bottom dolla if i worked it out from what i earn now after all expenses not working through lack of work bank holidays when no one will have you round, bad weather, injuries .....the list goes on but i bet i'd say i still earn £30 a day......

lifes short as we keep hearing about ALL TO often, stop winging and concentrate on what your doing....and if your going to moan about pay then moan about it to your boss.......:sneaky2:

Couldnt agree more. I like to think I earn a mint when I price a 2 day job in at 4 figures... but when we all look at it, pro-rata and minus expenses were all just confier dragging sweaty chainsaw lovers who dont do it just for the money... we would all be better off financially in an office, and we know it.

For any company to be offering a position is great and should be congratulated not slated for being too smaller pay. I would only slate them if after the employee has proven and greatened his skills they dont offer more. The sign of a good company is being able to see peoples value, and you'll only do this after a period of employment, so why should companies pay the figure people think they are worth before seeing it for themselves.

too right adam when i started working at 16 for a local tree firm i was on £95 a week and i had to pay for all my equipment. BUT .... I loved it coming home at the end of the week with money showing all my hard work for the week and it was experience.

even after loosing my job after my apprentiecship finished i went looking for work im now cutting grass for even less and working 7 day a week but i still love it. i do admit im only 19 and i dont have any real over heads but still i would happly work for nothing, in natures play ground in some cracking weather and some day it may all get better.

we may win the lottery ...... but we do need to buy a ticket first

Here's the pecking order guys.

Groundie, climber, gaffer, boss!

The Boss makes the most, if not you are doing it wrong.

If you wish to stay in the same job position, guess what, same pay!

As far as what will happen if there are only young folk in the industry, well they will pick it up like everyone else and charge on and learn .:)

The best way to improve your financial situation is to ask others how they have done so.

Become the boss, Sell wood chip, start an arb forum. Then you can decide what wage to pay. Most people I know have gone out of there way to help me when I have asked. But you need to be positive a more productive thread could have been "how can I improve my pay.

At 43 its going to be hard to climb every day I know but it dose n,t mean you cant work in the Arb industry you just need to find solutions there will be lots of ideas here if the questions are asked in the rigt way.