Hot,Hot, Hot How to survive the heat!!!

Mark Cattell

In ox and US I would imagine they work long hours in the winter so they can sit on the porch in a rocking chair drinking beer and spitting in a tin bucket when its hot. Or they work till 12 then rest the afternoon and work 4-8 like they do in europe. Or if your young and really hiper they can maintain their toys in the airconditioned workshop. Remember only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun. :laugh1:

In Oz most bigger companies will stop work when it reaches over 36C but most arb companies are small so its any heat, i have worked in 38C which was pretty hot and that was a full day no early start or finish unforntunatly :thumbdown:

:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

How are you all coping with the heat?

Any tips?

Out if interest how many of you have slipped on your front protection trousers? especially the climbers?

I'll kick of with some simple ones...

• plenty of breaks
  • keep hydrated (plenty of water, isotonic drinks if you sweat a lot like me)
  • take you boots off when having breaks
  • Stay in the shade when resting
  • Air con full on
  • Take some loose joggers or shorts to slip on at break time or for the ride home

Be good to hear some unusual techniques espeically from those of you who work in hotter climbs...:thumbup1:

Fill the mewp bucket with water and tread water!!!!

Remember hearing a few months ago on radio 4 that some uni had tested various different types of isotonic drinks versus normal beverages to see what was best and the result was that good old cheap supermarket chocolate milkshake had the best results.

Me? Plenty of water and a decent wide brimmed hat when out of the tree. Shade at any point and ballistics off at any given opportunity. Quick long lasting energy boost has always been peanuts for me, but don't forget the H2O

On a serious note, one of the guys I graft for brought in 6 helmet pads last week. You soak the pad in water and a chemical reaction with some chrystals make it go real cold. You then fasten the pad to the inside of your lid whilst working.

The guys who used it thought they worked very well.

I take 3 litre bottles in this heat,put 2 of them in the freezer the night before,and keep them all in a coolbag during the day with those iceblock things.

Court one of my young draggers swigging out of my bottle this afternoon,told him to bring his own next time,but apparantly he dont get up too early to do that.

clearing mountain footpaths here in Spain - was 35deg last wed. & we took 6 hours to do the job almost no shade..... oh and carrying a husky clearing saw , 4L of water 5L of fuel , lunch ect.You can make up home made isotonic drinks with sugar salt & lemon juice