Trees & shade

David Humphries

in my experience animals and trees dont mix very well at all, in the first two photos i would certainly fence them out, particulary the horse!

The compaction, browsing, bark stripping, eutrophication etc will only hasten the demise of the tree....

so shade is a good thing but only when managed well, which most farmers/large landowners tend not to do......

Perhaps the context varies depending on situation & space.

the horse & sheep shots at the beginning of this thread were taken on top of a mountain plateau in the Basque region of Spain.

In that environment the wood pasture doesn't seem to suffer as there appears to be plenty of room for man, tree and beast.

Urban & rural UK is for sure a crowded place.

Barchams Big Barn Conference earlier this month the speaker (sorry his name escapes me) presenting the i-tree software highlighted some of the applications not yet available in the UK but on there way. One was a landscaping package which would calculate the shading and wind dynamics of certain trees in proximity to buildings to look at different species and their cooling and thermal effects.........watch this space an interesting tool ?

Hmmm doesn't quite add up in my opinion, in both pics the trees look in pretty poor condition, both in the fore and background, indeed in the second pic the 'farmer' has fenced out the sheep from the tree in the back ground. Added to this grass that looks like a bowling green, I stand by my assertion that animals and trees rarely mix well

• 2 weeks later...

A slightly different slant on the issue in terms of how people may have less access to (oak) trees and their shade in London over the coming years.

The trees below are regularly used by school groups and the general public whilst listening to the bands on the bandstand over the months of May to August.

Unfortunately this coincides with the life span of the Oak Processionary Moth who's caterpillars have decided to take up residency in the trees.

For anyone unfamiliar with these hirsute little demons they're not something you or your dog would really want to meet up close and personal.

Although we can remove the nests once discovered, (which isn't particularly easy) we're now having to look at how we manage this situation in terms of public access to trees like these during hot sunny periods.

The ones below have been fenced off over the weekend until we could get the nests removed, but we can't do this to every tree with a nest in so education will have to be the way forward.

Trees and their benefits are a natural inalienable right but when nature rocks up with caterpillars that were designed by old nick himself those rights are found to be challenged.

So if your in London over the summer months worth looking for something other than an oak to find some shade under !

Oak Processionary Moth - Health Risks - Gristwood & Toms - 08458 731500

IMG_0021.JPG.cbfff2dc6fc27561c1bd6dc72ec56914.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG.28c797a3e3c1df190f112ca54082d7e8.JPG

IMG_9655.JPG.868e8219a15e9c75f4ce9a9008190592.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG.bdfca5ca68033c867e3d3365f7b2b75e.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG.966017b020ed89b541fb6e0b3b32e5a7.JPG

IMG_0097.jpg.f6ea8f256bc7a961fc40a91f33b307c5.jpg

• 1 year later...