Trees & shade

David Humphries

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
mad dogs and English cows go out in the mid day sun, though some are a little brighter than others

more a case of the whole heard taking the shade today

probably looking over to the creatures with 'mad human disease' running around after a bit of leather and cork :biggrin:

IMG_2327.JPG.022a549fe427b1a38818ff3912f0ef38.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG.92d968d64bb4eaee4868e2ae4add940e.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG.ef26610807949eba9b9872adf75c6cf6.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG.1dfe607a41ff515239aec4a5479ee709.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG.fb12ff000cb878647cfb4dc01ad4fb2a.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Something struck a chord a couple of weeks ago whilst listening to Frederic Segur present on urban tree management in France at the Barchams Big Barn Conference.

15000 people perished in France during the two months of heatwave during 2003.

The majority of these fatalities (infants and the elderly) were in urban centres.

Undoubtedly the number would have been significantly reduced had there been larger canopy trees in the towns and cities helping to cool the heat island effect.

Something struck a chord a couple of weeks ago whilst listening to Frederic Segur present on urban tree management in France at the Barchams Big Barn Conference.

15000 people perished in France during the two months of heatwave during 2003.

The majority of these fatalities (infants and the elderly) were in urban centres.

Undoubtedly the number would have been significantly reduced had there been larger canopy trees in the towns and cities helping to cool the heat island effect.

Spooky, you been following this by telepathy? http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/89510-tpos-they-important.html

I follow everything Jules, kinda my job here :biggrin:

Thought about posting it on that thread when I saw your post about the shade but also thought about this thread whilst listening to Frederic.

Its a fascinating aspect of any debate about trees and their presence around humans

in my experience animals and trees dont mix very well at all, in the first two photos i would certainly fence them out, particulary the horse!

The compaction, browsing, bark stripping, eutrophication etc will only hasten the demise of the tree....

so shade is a good thing but only when managed well, which most farmers/large landowners tend not to do......