First comp questions

danholls

Hi all,

I'm hoping a few of you who are familiar with competing in climbing competitions can help.

I have just entered my first competition (British Columbia t.c.c on 14/15 July) but are just not sure on a couple of the disciplines.

1 - The speed climb, from what I can see on a couple of videos I've seen it seems as if this is how fast you can pull yourself up with the rope while going out on 2 or 3 branches. Do you use a friction hitch? If not and is just belayed do you have to rely on the belayer to give you slack to branch walk to reach the bells?

2 - On the Aerial rescue, what different things do they judge on? I remember seeing a comp before where the competitors where talking the whole way through to the dummy is this correct? is speed a factor? How can you lose points?

All comments will be much appreciated

Dan

Hey Dan,Good luck with the comp,always a good day at comps and good fun!

Speedclimb is just climb the tree on a set route,You get belayed when you go up,Just go quick as possible.

Areial rescue.Just remember to talk all the time(hard to climb and talk i find)Climb safe and get the dummy down quickly and safely.

No sure about loosing points or what they judge on

Hope that gives you a wee idea as to whats involved.

I hated aerial rescue. Its entirely about the play acting. I think my time was about second or third quickest and the climb and rescue itself was pretty faultless yet my score was pretty much last due to the fact I kept my mouth shut the whole time. I could have probably spoken more, not completed the rescue in the allotted time and still scored higher.

So with being vocal in the aerial rescue, do you have to pretty much explain what you are doing as your doing it, or doing they just want you to say things like ' Your gonna be fine' 'I'm be with you in a second' 'the ambulance is on its way' etc etc...

Good luck with your comp Ben

Pretty much. Keep talking to the casualty at all times. They also like to see new things they havent seen before, so try to think of something original. I'm not the best person to ask really as i only ever did the one comp. Rupe would be a better person to talk to...he used to clock up a fair few geek points if i recall!

So with being vocal in the aerial rescue, do you have to pretty much explain what you are doing as your doing it, or doing they just want you to say things like ' Your gonna be fine' 'I'm be with you in a second' 'the ambulance is on its way' etc etc...

Good luck with your comp Ben

Both.

Commentary for the judges benefit, they wont know what you are doing unless you tell them. IE you are continuing to assess potential hazards (ie deadwood in crown, security of anchor points etc) as you ascend.

Secondly, treat the casualty and any helpers you may have as if it is a real emergency situation, tell your helper to contact emergency services, what to do when the ambulance arrives. Constantly reassure the casualty.

Well worth watching a couple of rescues from a more experienced competitor first so you know what you need to do, but dont get too hung up on how they do it, innovation is rewarded provided it is well executed.

And yes it is pretty geeky. :biggrin:

read the rule book, then read it again while looking at how the score sheets work. free to down load anytime!

International Tree Climbing Championship

casualty reasurance and comunication with other workers on site is the key to ANY rescue, comp or not, and as we know pratice makes perfect so dont try anyting new on the day, period, because it will go wrong:001_tt2: