arb vehicle?

simonm

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can pull a trailer of gross weight of 3500kg with my canter legally without an operators license.

If your business can warrant a Unimog then go for it but in my situation I will need to still run a 3.5t tipper along side my Mog

Are you sure???

My understanding was that as soon as you tow more than 750KG with a 3.5KG truck you need OL and tacho.

As of 4th December 2011 EC Regulation 1071/2009 comes into force, which requires all vehicle/trailer combinations with a combined GVW (towing vehicle GVW + trailer GVW) of over 3500kg used for hire or reward to hold an operators licence. There is still an exemption for operators of vehicles that only carry their own goods in connection with their trade or business.

As now, a tachograph is required for all vehicle/trailers combinations for business use (except a few very specific exemptions).

In summary, if you operate a vehicle/trailer combination with a combined GVW over 3500kg from 4th December you will need:

Private use - Nothing

Business carrying own goods only - Tachograph

Business carrying other people's goods - Tachograph and operators licence

The punishment for operating without an operators licence or tachograph is a £5000 fine and a prohibition order at the roadside with the vehicle and trailer impounded.