removing ivy?? Wear A Mask!!

the hedge man

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same again no problems for me but my mate get's a rash if touches ivy.

Whenever we had ivy to deal with I'd warn him the day before and he'd come covered from head to toe. Never effected his lungs but his rash was pretty horrendious.

I thaught it was like connifer rash and he'd become immune to it but after repeating it got worse and worse for him.

If you are suseptable to it then cover up coz your vunerability seems to increase not dectease.

Me and everyone else is fine with it tho :-)

Is this a proven thing?

Breathing in fumes lowers to testostorone levels and increases your estrogen ( woman hormone ) This in turn makes you prone to every illness in the modern world esp cancer.

Science are now finding out that low Testostorone levels in men ( which is usaully due to bad diet, smoking and pollution , not exercising ) Is the main cause of cancer, dementia, low sex drive...the list goes on and on.

Long story short - breathing chainsaw fumes will give you pair of breasts and cancer.

same again, are there different sorts of ivy, I think they get a poisonous one in the states, but never heard of it here

You are correct and pray to God you never do. We have poison Ivey, Oak, and sumac here and depending on how sensitive your skin is it can be mild to extremely painful:thumbdown:' also the Mango tree is in the same family as well, keep the pitch or sap off of your skin at all cost. Stay safe:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

Whenever we had ivy to deal with I'd warn him the day before and he'd come covered from head to toe. Never effected his lungs but his rash was pretty horrendious.

I thaught it was like connifer rash and he'd become immune to it but after repeating it got worse and worse for him.

If you are suseptable to it then cover up coz your vunerability seems to increase not dectease.

Me and everyone else is fine with it tho :-)

That's called an allergic reaction. First exposure, not much happens but it sets the body up to fight some allergen in the dust the next. But then when exposed on subsequent times the response is of the body results in release of histamine which gives the allergic reaction. What your fella should do is have some anti-histamines with him.

As for lungs - inhaled dust can cause serious problems, especially if it contains silica (as might be expected for ivy being ripped off walls) or fungal spores (again as might be expected). If that's something people are happy to risk themselves, then so be it. But illnesses like silicosis are not nice to live with, and not nice for family to deal with. They also continue to develop after exposure has stopped.

It's all very well saying "Jo Bloggs worked with asbestos and he's still alive at 70", or "my nan smoked all her life and didn't die until she was 120", but the simple fact is that diseases like silicosis result in a very poor quality of life and do kill people. Just a week or so ago some of you slated me for daring to mention I climbed a tree without a rope, making the point that I was giving the impression to people, esp newbies, that this is safe practice. Yet now you're here saying it's ok to take the risk of breathing in dust from ivy, because it hasn't affected you personally. If that's a risk you want to take, fair enough. But it's wrong to say it's ok.

That's called an allergic reaction. First exposure, not much happens but it sets the body up to fight some allergen in the dust the next. But then when exposed on subsequent times the response is of the body results in release of histamine which gives the allergic reaction. What your fella should do is have some anti-histamines with him.

As for lungs - inhaled dust can cause serious problems, especially if it contains silica (as might be expected for ivy being ripped off walls) or fungal spores (again as might be expected). If that's something people are happy to risk themselves, then so be it. But illnesses like silicosis are not nice to live with, and not nice for family to deal with. They also continue to develop after exposure has stopped.

It's all very well saying "Jo Bloggs worked with asbestos and he's still alive at 70", or "my nan smoked all her life and didn't die until she was 120", but the simple fact is that diseases like silicosis result in a very poor quality of life and

do kill people. Just a week or so ago some of

you slated me for daring to mention I

climbed a tree without a rope, making the

point that I was giving the impression to

people, esp newbies, that this is safe

practice. Yet now you're here saying it's ok to

take the risk of breathing in dust from ivy,

because it hasn't affected you personally. If

that's a risk you want to take, fair enough.

But it's wrong to say it's ok.

Good points made there.

Couple of months ago I had horrendous reaction too dust from Flowering Cherry not sure if it was the actual wood dust or more probable spores from the lichen on it. Started to fill up with mucus in my chest within minutes it was like I was drowning very very scary, lips burning and face tingling. Not ashamed to say it frightened me. All for sake of a few pence mask.

Good points made there.

Couple of months ago I had horrendous reaction too dust from Flowering Cherry not sure if it was the actual wood dust or more probable spores from the lichen on it. Started to fill up with mucus in my chest within minutes it was like I was drowning very very scary, lips burning and face tingling. Not ashamed to say it frightened me. All for sake of a few pence mask.

That sounds horrendous!!! and very scary, have you been given an eppy (sp) pen or any other form of emergency treatment for any future attack??

For me its not the cost of a mask thats the problem, its trying work wearing one thats the problem. I wear a paper face mask occasionally, when working on Planes in leaf, those days working wearing a mask are awful and I would not want to try and work like that every day.

I've worn one climbing Plane's, it was awful :thumbdown:

I'm no to worried about myself, but my boy starts with me this year, he's only 16, he could have 60 years of cutting in front of him :thumbdown:

Please set a proper example for your son and encourage him to understand that our bodies although resilient are very fragile at best. Wearing any and all protective gear is a Good Habit to start as young as possible, here in the states we have an expression " like father like son". At least in the future when your Son gets out on his own and the next generation of skyhucks appear they will brag about grand pa skyhucks, teaching me how it was done once upon a time!. What a bed time story that would be :sneaky2:

easy-lift guy

That sounds horrendous!!! and very scary, have you been given an eppy (sp) pen or any other form of emergency treatment for any future attack??

For me its not the cost of a mask thats the problem, its trying work wearing one thats the problem. I wear a paper face mask occasionally, when working on Planes in leaf, those days working wearing a mask are awful and I would not want to try and work like that every day.

No, I just went to the pharmacy as it was a Sunday he gave me some tablets anti histamine and some tablets to open the airways and relax the muscles, it just started with a really tickly cough but then progressed rapidly, I didn't mean the cost of the mask as like most folk I find them horrible to work in the ones with the vent in front seem better I must say. Adding to that the pharmacist did say that your eyes are just as vulnerable to absorbing the spores if you are going to prove to be in some way allergic too something, not something I had thought of before. An episode I never wish repeating.

I've recently stripped an old asbestos roof at home. Before doing it I did some digging around ppe and managed to find a good mask ie comfortable to work in. It's a 3m made with a pair of white domes with a central replaceable filter.

It's comfortable enough that I now use it when cutting/ planing / sanding in the workshop.

I also realised how little use the disposable masks are, even if they do seal and don't get saturated in 10 mins.