compact forwarders

Seems to be a lot of interest in small forwarders and low impact extraction machinery, i have just modified my Vimek forwarder as the front drive unit requires ££££ to repair the gearbox. For the same sort of money i have got a second hand bcs vangaurd 45hp with ground speed pto to drive the trailer if conditions get tricky. I have also duelled the trailer up to give better floatation on sensitive sites. Also attached pictures of my slightly bigger farma 6 ton trailer with Kubota 5740 hst. Unfortunately Vimek tractor unit will be parked up until i either win the lottery or put it on ebay!

597660a32c23d_Kubota5740withFarma3.8-6.jpg.40211a4dc5660a75a576bcff82858b07.jpg

vimek-forwarder.jpg.2261b80769af8db8f5173484b8e280dc.jpg

597660a303967_bcstractorwithvimekforwardingtrailer.jpg.a91604b6a23ce026b71b4b7e0de68ba6.jpg

597660a300aa9_Vimekforwardingtrailerwithdualwheels.jpg.1a61cb76a98f2c9249ec706e2e10ca4b.jpg

597660a2f1460_Vimekforwardingtraileronbcstractor.jpg.c440d5ffbe42a4fb8c4a089b2c01c2ba.jpg

Nice set up Iain, how do you think the alpine will compare on trailer to the vimek unit?

Looks like a handy grab on the front loader as well :thumbup:

I think the tractor will actually be better for the following reasons, it is diesel not petrol like the vimek so running costs are less. It has manual gearbox not variator pulley like the vimek. It has better oil flow and true diff lock. I can use the tractor on the winch and flail mowers, the vimek was a one trick pony. Parts are readily available from Kilworths at a acceptable price, Vimek is horrendous! Down sides are despite fitting stump gaurd it is more vulnerable underneath and it doesn't have quite the same ground clearance. Vimek has a handy 600kg winch for pulling down hung up trees. Time will tell, i have used the bcs on the 6 ton trailer for a few days and it performed very well considering its size. Not all that comfortable kneeling on the seat to operate controls but nothing that a pair of knee pads didn't fix. Thats where the alstor comes in with its swivel seat.

You bought an alpine for the price of a Vimek gearbox rebuild?

I'll not be buying a Minimaster then.....

Parts to repair Vimek came to £4000 not including labour to fit!! A new gearbox was £12000!!!!

alpine was £6500 with the stump guards and extra spool valve. Decided to go for the tractor as it can be used for other jobs, and the Vimek always felt like you had to nurse it a bit.

Parts to repair Vimek came to £4000 not including labour to fit!! A new gearbox was £12000!!!!

alpine was £6500 with the stump guards and extra spool valve. Decided to go for the tractor as it can be used for other jobs, and the Vimek always felt like you had to nurse it a bit.

The BCS looks to have been a good buy at that price. Bet it's a handy setup with the drive to the trailer.

The last job i did with it was a long cart but with fairly large hardwood timber. I was averaging about 8-10 loads a day with about 2 cube of solid timber per load. That was with the vimek drive unit, i am expecting a bit more form the alpine tractor as its got faster travelling speed and hydraulics. youtube video at [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlCQEsce0-U]Vimek minimaster - YouTube[/ame] to see old vimek unit in action

• 1 month later...