How far have you ran/cycled/swam today?

Yeah its hard to take a break but after plenty of research is the thing to be doing. I kind of feel good in a way as i actually feel like a true runner in that i miss it......hmmm I think i will lay off one more and do some walking miles although feels much better i just want to be sure. I have started wearing leggins too and make the after aches feel much better. cheers for advice too guys, good luck within your training and challenges

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A paltry 2 miles this morning in my 'barefoot' shoes. I am trying to re-learn how to run with better posture and technique. So far it's killing my calf muscles!

How's the torture going? :D

I looked at this barefoot thing and even bought a pair of those merrells last year - I took them back after a couple of runs (with socks mind!). I land fore/mid foot anyway so didn't think there would be much difference from my inov8s but the style you need to use to tolerate them is too much for me! A real stride killer - and like you I had major calf pains even at low distances. So much for injury prevention!

Anyhow, I decided that I was running fine without them but I'd be interested to see how others find them.

i go barefoot as much as humanly possible,even walk round town or go hiking barefoot.Improves posture and helps eliminate lower back knee and hip issues...the human body was designed with the best footwear naturally..funnily heal toe walking and running etc actually will degrade knee integrity over time we were designed to run using our natural arch and ball of foot to absorb impact.

Go barefoot and dont look back.Even better run on sand or uphill flatland running is pointless and out dated and will destroy your body over time.

forefoot running is a natural gait style that humans evolved over thousands of years but was undone by sports companies over 30 years ago as they wanted to sell runners expensive shoes and turn them into heel strikers. If in doubt go down to the beach or local field, take of your shoes and have a run - bet your gait is forefoot strike as its painful to heel strike with no shoes on.

The key to changing to forefoot running (natural gait) is to gradually reduce the thickness of shock absorber in your running shoe as this will lessen the chance of injury whilst switching gait

forefoot running is a natural gait style that humans evolved over thousands of years but was undone by sports companies over 30 years ago as they wanted to sell runners expensive shoes and turn them into heel strikers. If in doubt go down to the beach or local field, take of your shoes and have a run - bet your gait is forefoot strike as its painful to heel strike with no shoes on.

The key to changing to forefoot running (natural gait) is to gradually reduce the thickness of shock absorber in your running shoe as this will lessen the chance of injury whilst switching gait

I'm aware of the arguements and accusations of both sides - I was interested to see if anyone here has actually taken it past the fad stage. Didn't see many olympians running barefoot last year...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

A mate of mine changed his gait to improve his marathon times and reduce stress injuries. He focused on his running style for around 6 months before it felt more natural than heel striking but also increased his cadience and knee lift.

I would imagine professional athletes cant afford to miss a footwear endorsement opportunity but I am old enough to remember Zola Budd

• 2 weeks later...

I have been hoping to contribute to this thread for a long time but sadly never seem to have the energy for sport at the end of the day. But log season is winding down for me now and back in workshop some days so a bit of spare energy at long last. Went out on the bike for about 20 miles last night and really enjoyed it but legs feel leaden this morning. Went up around a local reservoir and nearly got nearly got knocked off by a dear that was startled by me and bolted across the road but nice to see some wildlife. Hoping to go out again on Wednesday but this will hurt way more as going out with some young guns who are going to tear my legs off but all good fun :thumbup:

Hats off to you chaps who can climb tress all day and then go running/cycling/swimming afterwards.

Hadn't been out for ages. Lost motivation then life took over. Been swimming and to the gym a few times but went out running late last night. Did a slow couple of miles to see how it felt. Been walking today. 6 mile round trip to the gym with 10 kg in my pack. That was nice! Time to get back into it. I'm 107kg at the moment. A trim 90 is my goal.