MPG heroes - your best economy run?

Big J

My work van is a new Transit 115 ps 260. A bit of towing, mostly town work with a few bits of motorway. When the fuel went up last month I became obssessed with the MPG. Normally returning around 32-33mpg. If its on a longer run it goes up to the high 30's (38-39 mpg) - never quite made the 40mpg though.

I have been told though that the odometers on most cars aren't too acurate so I wouldn't take these figures as gospel.

Fuels way down in price by about 6-7p a litre this week - it almost seems cheap now:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that always amuses me is that motoring journalists don't ever seem to be able to get anywhere near a manufacturers stated MPG. It's almost as if they actively seek people with lead right feet. The Navara is supposed to do 33mpg on a combined cycle, and if I didn't ever have to tow and drove sensibly, that would be pretty achievable.

Interesting thread as we have recently imposed a voluntary speed restriction on vehicles to up the mpg- and it works- my vivaro mpg gone up from 33 to 38mpg. I'm also feeling more relaxed when I get on site.

My concern though is how much time is wasted getting everywhere slow. 2 men in a cab arn't cheap!!!

Has anyone done the maths:confused1:

I suppose the other thing to shove into the equation is how much wear and tear goes down as a result of less strain on the engine at the lower speeds.

Look at it this way

A company running sales reps

Each rep doing 200 miles a day

at 60mph = 3hours 20 mins on the road

say rep costs company £20 per hour= £67 in wages wasted on the road

at 80mph= 2hrs 30 on the road= £50 in wages

So travelling at lower speeds costs £17 in wages

Would you save £17 in fuel at the lower speeds-

2 reps in a car and the cost at the lower speed is doubled -£34

I know

This is a bit anal but you get my point

From the point of wages the best speed to travel is faster faster faster

Iget 32mpg from my Renault Master 2.5dc1 120 (160k on the clock) stays pretty much the same no matter how its driven.... wifes EVO Shogun gets 20mpg with her driving 14mpg with me !!! my auld 3.5 petrol Trooper gets around 15-18 seriously need tae get another patrol so diesel can be bought with the company card.. new trafic gets 33mpg still only 4000 on the clock though..

Interesting thread as we have recently imposed a voluntary speed restriction on vehicles to up the mpg- and it works- my vivaro mpg gone up from 33 to 38mpg. I'm also feeling more relaxed when I get on site.

My concern though is how much time is wasted getting everywhere slow. 2 men in a cab arn't cheap!!!

Has anyone done the maths:confused1:

I suppose the other thing to shove into the equation is how much wear and tear goes down as a result of less strain on the engine at the lower speeds.

Look at it this way

A company running sales reps

Each rep doing 200 miles a day

at 60mph = 3hours 20 mins on the road

say rep costs company £20 per hour= £67 in wages wasted on the road

at 80mph= 2hrs 30 on the road= £50 in wages

So travelling at lower speeds costs £17 in wages

Would you save £17 in fuel at the lower speeds-

2 reps in a car and the cost at the lower speed is doubled -£34

I know

This is a bit anal but you get my point

From the point of wages the best speed to travel is faster faster faster

Its a no brainer for us two engineers in truck we make good progress. The rising cost of diesel must have helped the travel lodges. Its cheaper to stay away than travel 100 miles ea way.

I drove my Mercedes ML about 26 miles at 95mph to Legoland on Sunday.

The fuel bill was almost the same as the admission fee but with two children in the back shouting 'are we there yet?' it was money well spent.

I won't even start with my Unimog :lol:

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tfxpab