happy to climb this?

john p

bull rope...barbers chair in ash good point

i free felled a well buggered ash few yrs back and she broke out off the hinge before she gained any real direction from gob,i pooed and thought if only id put a pulling rope up there as a safety!!

without seeing first hand the state of this trees trunk and weighing up the amount of remaining sap wood at fell height i cant determine the probability of a barbers chair but thanks for correcting me there matty i was only presuming the trunk was fairly well decayed. apologies :blushing:

No need to apologise mate , it's good to throw ideas in ... I'm throwing mine , I could be completely wrong :) have not seen the tree in person so only the op knows or will know on the day what's right but I would have my running shoes on! . I've had quite a few ash barbers chair in the woods now the worse was a sort of reverse barbers chair were it pulled up the root plate before spinning, this one had a fast pull with a big hinge , bad idea! ..The others didn't really give much or were obvious they had too much pressure weight, I suppose you could bore and release on this but I would worry about it being not structurally sound enough for this technique... But would probably go with it but be prepared to drop the saw if it breaks up!! On second thoughts maybe climb it!!! Lol

I want to see a vid of this one :thumbup:

Edited by MattyF

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First rule is can this tree be done from the ground??

Looks like it can! Fell the tree slight higher if it explodes then it explodes, better for it to explode than you when you squashed underneath it!

PLAN PLAN PLAN is take time think about what your doing don't rush and think of what if this happens or what if that happens!

Anyway take time and be safe!!

Edited by Steve Bullman
Removed deflammatory comments

Is there access for a MEWP? If not then felling would be the only other option. Personally i don't think the tree will barbers chair. With the amount of rot there is at the failure point there wont be enough tensile strength in the fibres to cause a barbers chair. The best way of seeing how much holding wood there is at the base is to cut out a box of wood from one side to the other. That way you can feel for the soft points and see how much good wood is left. Just a thought.