McCulloch - was there ever a good one ?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

I have a McCulloch saw that forever loosened on the bar nuts and every time I pulled them up tight enough to stop it slipping and chucking the chain I snapped the studs off. They were 6mm and as soft as you like.

Got fed up with that so took out the studs, drilled and tapped to 8mm, fitted hi tensile studs, drilled out other holes to suit and then spent quite a long time filing out the holes on the spur - drills wouldn't touch it.

Anyway apart from the fact that it stopped recently when the fuel pipe disintegrated it all works okay and because it's fairly light, has a 20" bar and cuts well I quite like using it. I have bigger and smaller Stihl saws as well but this one has a place.

Mcculloch has a very solid pedigree - responsible for many innovations which revolutionised logging.In 1948 they introduced the first diaphragm carburettor to replace bowl and float - later developed by Tillotson into the carbs we all recognise today. This meant a major reduction in weight as the cutting head no longer had to be swivelled to keep the bowl upright whilst cutting.I seem to recall that the engine alloys used today owe much to Mcculloch experiments -they made lightweight drone plane engines for the USAAF to shoot down. They may be naff today but it was not always the case.

If you ever get the chance to watch "some times a great notion" or never give an inch as it was released under both these names it has some great old growth 70's logging scenes and plenty of Mac action

[ame]

[/ame]

This bit is a classic in the film staring a Mac :)

[ame]

[/ame]

If you ever get the chance to watch "some times a great notion" or never give an inch as it was released under both these names it has some great old growth 70's logging scenes and plenty of Mac action

This bit is a classic in the film staring a Mac :)

I remember reading the book . Hank Stamper ....:biggrin: