Large Fir tree dismantle using a speedline

danholls

No, a krab will do, but flexability is a problem IMO, i.e. it wont like any twisting. So a short length of cord is probably better as it allows twisting, and then like you say, no need for a tibloc.

Also, the tibloc is a bit fierce on the rope, very pointy little teeth in it.

I have one if you want to try it.

use a short length of accesory cord, instead, to tie a micro prussic and conect to the pullie with a key ring binner, used this about 15 years ago:blushing:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use a short length of accesory cord, instead, to tie a micro prussic and conect to the pullie with a key ring binner, used this about 15 years ago:blushing:

Yes, I feel as though I have gone back in time!!! I watched the second vid of the tibloc being set up and was very surprised that they had HD video in 1998!!!!!!

Can the Tibloc be shock loaded in Dans setup?

in the following circumstance it could - all Dan needs to do is climb up onto a branch using his hands and feet and forget to take up the slack in his system, then if he slips off the branch he will shockload the system....with the possible result that the prussik slips dragging the tibloc down the opposite end of his line.

The only way to avoid shockloading the tibloc in dan's setup is to always have the climbing system under tension, but I dont know any climbers who have ever gone through a whole job without creating the odd bit of slack in their system from time to time.

that speed line set up is exactaly how i burnt out the bush in a revolver, the hall back line was travaling at such a speed and the heat build up just melted the little plastic bushing inside the revolving bit. nice vid, like the intro bits when we get to put a face of the climber and not just a pair of hands. I didnt think the tree was all that big till the last photo of some1 on top of all the timber..

Just to run the hall back line so not under any load as it was running free just travaling a little fast it turns out. I did use a tandam for the main speed line a paw under it and some slings. Actualy i used a tip from you rupe 1 sling up the tree getting put on a branch 1 travaling back up and 1 being taken of last branch on the ground it realy will save a few secs each turn that add up over the day.

Oh, ok, was trying to imagine a poor little revolver huffing and puffing up and down a speed line. Not really suitable even for a retrieve line but not the end of the world.

Lots of slings are useful for speedlines, you cant have too many IMO.

Hey guys,

This is a video filmed mainly from my helmet cam of a large Fir tree removal on a steep bank. It was just me and 1 groundsman so decided to rig it down using a speed line to save the groundsman climbing up the bank to retrieve each branch and to knock off a few extra feet from dragging those big heavy fir limbs.

Dan This may seem a silly question, but im guessing you are the owner of the website, climberarborist.com. Yeah?????

I was on this the other day by chance and its quality, fair play to you for taking the time out to do the vids you have on there, was rather informative if i may say so myself

Hey guys,

To answer all the questions about the prussik setup, I originally setup the system (as some people have suggested) with a piece of cord, but as I used it a couple of times realised I need something i could just clip in and clip out quickly to save any time when changing points etc, so bought the Tibloc as it was the cheapest and most simple piece of kit that would stay put on the rope (I had never used 1 before and never have used it as an ascender). Its only purpose is to hold the pulley in the same place, there is never any tension on it, and I can never imagine there would be. Although I'm sure a tiny rope grab or ascender that can be taken on and off with ease is the best option.

Didn't know the little Tibloc would cause so much controversy haha,

Thanks for all you comments