Unimog u90, u100, and other, pros & cons

ACUF

Hi Everyone,

Long time since I've posted here, I sometimes forget about this valuable resource.

Well, I've come to realize the limitations of the round cabs for my operation, and am moving into the larger units to accommodate the larger scale field works, and the more civilized interior and operation, etc.

I'm in the process of acquiring one of the municipal type machines stateside, and just wonder if anyone has experience w/ U90, U100, or others in this rare series.

It's very civilized (orange unit), has a peppy 4 cyl turbo diesel, and gets up to speed noticeably quickly. The rust is predominantly located on the bed, which is thought to have been taken from another machine before import.

I plan to have my crane behind the cab on it, but would be running my chipper from the front as in the other pics I found in some searches.

They feel like operating a high end Mercedes automobile of a sort that can carry implements. Very smooth and nimble.

I ultimately want to know about similarity of parts between the other SBU, etc.

Hope everyone is having a safe and productive year so far!

ACUF

1497443_3.jpg.7b62b29acafb0cb8e6719ccb328658b1.jpg

1497443_2.jpg.89f2336ef550544ea1262c8a78adbd64.jpg

1497443_1.jpg.dd69be735bc58af2c3dc3520ca9368da.jpg

597660964de9d_Picture5.jpg.7f11fa9f1c28d2be634258e31dbb7c82.jpg

Edited by ACUF

...I know these were rare, but I take it that none of you foresters or arborist have experience with these over on your side of the pond?

ACUF

ive only seen a few and they were owned by the electric company with a cherry picker attached

they are basiclly a castrated mog, built for the utilility companies and LA's that couldnt justify the prices, they are underpowered, lack the mogs usability of road, and are generally built to fill a role that was only brought about by bean counters that hadnt really got a clue, as a cherry picker truck, there fine but thats all there any use for

Edited by skyhuck
language

Wow,

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realize they were considered this way, nor that they were THAT rare over there..

My understanding was that they somehow replaced the U900 type, so still relatively smaller wheel base, so it could move around through tight spots in the city without much of a problem, etc.

So mounting a crane and chipper wouldn't be the best fit?

ACUF

• 1 year later...

Just considering a U90 myself and trying to find out a little more about them. Had U900s and up to U2150 before, but not had much experience of the U90s.

Has a medium size crane mounted on it, rear pto, and mounting for a front snow plough. Would need to do some towing with it and for it to be moderately capable offroad, mainly on tracks.

Feedback would be welcome.

They have a little 4 cyl sprinter engine and are really poor for towing. I think the old round cab model was smaller with less power but was more capable. I cant see the u900 as its replacement. if you want to tow more than 3 tonnes go for a u1600 upwards. If you want a proper work beast I think u1700 upwards also comes with 10 stud axles.

They have a little 4 cyl sprinter engine and are really poor for towing. I think the old round cab model was smaller with less power but was more capable. I cant see the u900 as its replacement. if you want to tow more than 3 tonnes go for a u1600 upwards. If you want a proper work beast I think u1700 upwards also comes with 10 stud axles.

My U1600 is on 10 stud axel's and with a 245HP engine is far more powerful than a U1700, plus its lighter.

My U1600 is on 10 stud axel's and with a 245HP engine is far more powerful than a U1700, plus its lighter.

Agreed, just a bit bigger than I wanted to go. Not to mention the costs.

Saw a really nice U900 a few weeks back on ebay.de with crane pipped for grab and it came with both timber and clamshell along with a virtually new snow plough. Under 12k really regretted not going for it and now looking for an equivalent.

This one was the reason for the current question:

Unimog U90 mit Laderkan Palfinger ( Hiab , Fassi , Montagekran ) | eBay

Really like the reach of the crane.

So does anyone have an opinion as to how the U90 compares to the U900 .... obviously different engines, but similar power. Must be similar in size as well.