wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the average wage per tonne for felling and snedding spruce.how many trees per tonne? 6-15 inch diameter?

Lets work this one backwards , day rate £50to£70 (for work in the woods) Depending on ground level conditions and topography lets say you can fell and clean 5 to 7 tones per day then i think you must be some where around the £10 a ton mark, don't all jump on me , yes its been a long time since i did it, and yes i'm sure its still rubbish money:thumbdown: DBH 6-15inch, I'd say about 3 to 5 trees to a Ton. But as i said DON'T ALL JUMP ON ME, the man just wont's an idea.

Edited by Jesse
Forgot to say about tree numbers.

thanks.im waiting for a day rate at the moment and 50-70 per day isnt sounding too great at the moment when you factor in the price of 5 litres of fuel now,and then youve got your oil + sitka as you know have a lot of snedding work to be done so time is not on your side as far as productivity so hopefully it wont come back as paid per tonne.

as a day rate supplying all own equipment transport and oil fuel ect £100

if as some guys only work on pice work calculate on that or whote its costing you per day

to complete a days work and whote you need to get a wage

the last time i did any thinnings it was about for first £9-£13 per m3/ ton second thinnings £7-£8

clearfell £5-£7 depending on the size of the produce a bit vague but you have got to give it a go to get a realistic produce amount to base your price on

First thinnigs were £14.00 per tonne 10 years ago, £11.00 for second, £7.00 per metre for following the harvesters cutting the singles.

Any decent cutter should be on 150.00 per day minimum what with fuel / oil / vehicle costs and of course don't forget the little incidentals like Tax & National insurance.

If some parasite offers you 50 to 100 per day to an experienced cutter, you are entitled to beat them with a stick then let them cut it themselves.

First thinnigs were £14.00 per tonne 10 years ago, £11.00 for second, £7.00 per metre for following the harvesters cutting the singles.

Any decent cutter should be on 150.00 per day minimum what with fuel / oil / vehicle costs and of course don't forget the little incidentals like Tax & National insurance.

If some parasite offers you 50 to 100 per day to an experienced cutter, you are entitled to beat them with a stick then let them cut it themselves.

My feelings exactly, although the beating with the stick bit may be a little extreme.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

You might be right but it AINT GONNA HAPPEN! Forestry economics simply aint there yet. Piece rate bonkers cutter maybe but otherwise, dream on.

Quick Question;

Am I correct in thinking a lot of climbers / tree care companies are diversifying into commercial forestry, if so why?

YES!!! And they are making a massive BALLS UP of it. I subbed to one such shower of crap last year and they still owe me £12k since their so called forester buggered up the timber sale. Note to Arb Firms - f off out of forestry. :cursing::cursing::cursing: