Need a new splitting maul

kipperfeet

i had a stihl cleaving axe really nice for a while untill the shaft split just like the stihl maul i had that broke banginging in wedges!,currently on an oregan maul...wich is ok seems to be outlasting the stihl ,just a shame the stihl shafts are made out of cheap wood other wise the balance and weight are perfect.....i would not buy any of the cheaper stuff the balance weight and metal quality is crap!those cheap fiber glass ones are the worse!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one looks the dogs and no resin holding in the shaft,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAHCO-MES-3-5-900FG-MAUL-SPLITTING-AXE_W0QQitemZ350095316677QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL?hash=item350095316677&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1296%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

only downside is the wedge angle is a bit much. I like those canadian style with the concaved sides

Dude,

I use a Cadwell (not sure of the spelling but i can get it right if you like?) 7lbs hickory handle. I prefer a Ash handle though.

I have been splitting logs for the last 30 years and in honesty prefer an Axe because these days just get nice stuff to split!

I use my maul only on some of twisted stuff.

I was a tree surgeon for thirty years ( now a Arb Officer) my two sons are now Tree Surgeons working for Gristwood and Toms

I still do a little bit of tree work myself.

I have just ordered a new Axe... Bacho 4 1/2 lbs, looks nice. I have Lott's af Axes, my favourite is made by Adgor, not sure if they still make em?

All the best... Mark

this is my axe, there are many like it but this one is mine :001_cool:

It has split several tonnes of logs over the last 2 years, and shows no signs of problems (other than the slight run in with some concrete on the top corner) it does feel slightly head heavy but i find this works well, i split inside in an old garage with a roof of about 8ft so i cant swing overhead but i find i dont need to as the axe splits well enough, i also use this for splitting all my kindling as it has a razor sharp edge.

4.jpg.bb4185886d54e20d2de8f45ba8b6cbdf.jpg

3.jpg.fb5769822b2aef6d1d766851a769d305.jpg

2.jpg.a40d2f22018d83f73b5f1dfccabc5659.jpg

1.jpg.36036799474270d6d94efadd79def1b9.jpg

It has split several tonnes of logs over the last 2 years, and shows no signs of problems (other than the slight run in with some concrete on the top corner) it does feel slightly head heavy but i find this works well, i split inside in an old garage with a roof of about 8ft so i cant swing overhead but i find i dont need to as the axe splits well enough, i also use this for splitting all my kindling as it has a razor sharp edge.

I couldn't agree more! Fiskars is great, I have two Fiskars axes and I wouldn't trade them with any other make. They are indeed razor sharp and stay that way.

ive got serious axe envy, how much was that beauty?