Spiders in oz!

To be honest, funnel webs live in burrows in the ground generally and the poisonous ones are only in the NSW area. Redbacks pack a fair punch but are quite small and innocuous. We found them mainly under logs and in dark corners of the house. They don't tend to spin massive webs that attach to your face or anything like that. The huntsman, as far as I know, don't spin webs. They are actually quite docile and can be handled relatively safely but they certainly look the part. You're probably more likely to scare them the hell away if you're thundering through the undergrowth. Just don't go sticking your fingers into holes in the ground. If it's any consolation; I don't think anyone has been killed by any spider for a long time due to the anti venin they have in Oz. A good tip though is to learn PROPERLY how to apply a compression bandage and what to do if you do get bitten by a snake or spider. This info has saved a fair few lives.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi people.. focusing on moving to australia. This is going to sound silly but i have a ridiculous fear of spiders..what are the chances of encountering them on the job/up a tree?? :blushing:

would'nt worry about the spiders.

more likely to come accross green ants black ants and snakes:thumbup1:

Wouldn't count on hypnotherapy! My girlfriend has been to hypnotherapy latelt for her fear of flying. And a very week know hypnotherapist at that.

we had just been flying lately...there was about a 10% improvement ..and she had drank a load of whisky.

You are more likely to encounter all creapy crawlies if you are doing tree work!

Need to either man up and face them or stay well out of australia.

you will find black widows often..but i would be more worred about this one that can kill and adult in 15mins.!!

597660903744e_funnelwebspider.jpg.83d07f80cccef786f65044f81cf6a340.jpg

And yet...

In 2009 In cycled and camped from Melbourne to Adelaide to Port Augusta to Alice springs to Darwin before catching the Ghan back (a 3 day 2 night train journey)

All those nights camping and hardly saw a beastie although I'm sure they saw me!

Returned to France in Sept 2009 and within 2 weeks I was in St Brieuc hospital for 2 days and a night because I got bitten by a viper in a friends garden.

My arm came up like a comedy leg and I couldn't close my hand or use my arm at all.

Ty

i hate spiders and when i moved there the first day one of the boys through a spider at me it landed on my shirt and crawled about i couldnt bring myself to flick it off and went mad they are a pain but you learn to live with them, plenty off them about too i did a job in melbourne zoo doing habitat climbing and popped a head off a dead euc and had a white tail sat on my arm that will put the shakes in ya lots of reddys and huntsman too but they pretty much see ya and do one. id be more aware of the snakes to be honest i walked into the yard one evening after a few beers and was asked by my mate to help move the beer fridge more toards the door so the boys dont have to go to far for a cold one we put the fridge on the pallet trolley pushed it away and had a tiger snake under it, thatll have the life out of you. best advice is to go and do a decent first aid course i had to do one and they are awesome if you get a good guy hell be able to tell you all about the venoms animals case studies and what to do also give ya info on what to have laying about the house just incase. but when alls said and done you get over them pretty quick the hardest part is waiting to see ya first few once you are more familiar with them its not so hard to live with em.

I lived in OZ in a rural area for 12 months , I only saw one land snake and one sea snake. I never saw a Huntsman, I did see plenty of other stuff though, Redbacks, giant cockroaches, ants everywhere, stick insects, I'm not a big fan of insects tbh