ms261 needle bearing/play in drive sprocket, common problem??

jnoon

If its a plastic one then throw it in the bin as chances are it wont work anyway. :001_smile:

TBH IME it is a waste of time greasing needle bearings unless you have your saw idling for a big percentage of the time. OK pump it a bit when you are doing a bit of TLC but as a daily/weekly routine dont bother. Once the chain is moving the bearing is redundant.

The MS261 was a drum issue not a grease/bearing issue.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its a plastic one then throw it in the bin as chances are it wont work anyway. :001_smile:

TBH IME it is a waste of time greasing needle bearings unless you have your saw idling for a big percentage of the time. OK pump it a bit when you are doing a bit of TLC but as a daily/weekly routine dont bother. Once the chain is moving the bearing is redundant.

Have they cured it with the 2016 lighter model?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Had this issue on a 261, got the new bits from Skyland and been fine ever since (I did replace the needle bearing to start with as one of my subbies had a spare and it lasted about 15 minutes)

R

The new 261 is like an old 26 except even better!

I got 2 , 261's 4 years ago and they have been dogs since the day I took them out the box.

The roller bearing on the new 261 is still plastic but more substantial!

I'm bad for leaving a saw idling while at the chipper, for as long as it takes to chip up. Spud do you think this can put extra wear on the bearing?

The new 261 is like an old 26 except even better!

I got 2 , 261's 4 years ago and they have been dogs since the day I took them out the box.

The roller bearing on the new 261 is still plastic but more substantial!

I'm bad for leaving a saw idling while at the chipper, for as long as it takes to chip up. Spud do you think this can put extra wear on the bearing?

The Mtronic 261s have a good bit of go but have still seen issues on them. The bearing will be doing nothing when the chain is spinning as the bearing will be locked as the clutch engages with the drum. At idle, the bearing will be spinning as the drum is stationary and the clutch is spinning so prolonged idle will cause more wear than using the saw to cut!

Cheers Spud! The stop button always going back to start is the best thing Stihl have done since the leaf blower :)

Its always a PITA going to an older saw after using the new ones, picking an old saw up and trying to start it when its in the off position :001_rolleyes: .

I try and flick the switch to on straight after i shut one down now but it desent always happen