Terms and conditions - pay rates in particular

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would struggle to make any money round me at the pay rates some of you guys are suggesting. To win council work round here you can charge 350-500 a day for a 3 man team. Two climbers at £150 and a groundy at £100, doesn't leave much to pay for everything else.

Subbies might be able to demand higher rates but employees get training, holiday and sick pay and paid when there's no work so are going to be paid alot less. My fulltime groundy is on £55 a day basic if we are doing well he'll get a cash bonus. We have a subbie groundie who is as good as any you could find £60 a day. Subbie climbers £100 or £120 a day.

As to paying groundies the same as climbers, don't talk daft.... It takes years of experience and training to climb well, you can get a pretty decent groundy trained in a couple of weeks.

We also sometimes get groundies for free for up to 4 days a week for 12weeks (in theory)! Some unemployment thing, not the most reliable but can help dragging.

We've had 5 now. first lasted a couple of days, second is still with us 2 years, third also only lasted days, 4th a couple of weeks with some sick in the middle as he hurt his wrist and the current a few days so far but he's also missed a few..?

granted a good climber takes years to learn his trade but i think that to say a good man on the ground can be trained in a couple of weeks is a bit harsh. in my experience limited as it is a higer pay rate provides a person with more enthosasem for the job he is doing ,increasing productivety

I think there is a great deal of variation in groundies, some are pretty much labourers that follow instructions from the climber, at the other end of the scale there are groundies that run the show and give the climber instructions.

And their pay obviously differs accordingly.

What a variety of opinions this topic always brings up! I like bobs idea of treating the groundie as an equal to the climber, how revolutionary! Being a "career" groundie, I've seen all sorts, useless groundies, and equally useless climbers, and the opposite. I think the most important thing is how the TEAM performs, and if it performs well, then the TEAM reaps the benefit of better money. Its up to the crew leader to push his team to get the best from them, and make the company more money.

Rates will allow decent pay, but only if you price it right in the first place, look at the jobs and put the most suitable team out for that particular job. Dont half look at the job then blame the crew when things dont pan out, and you lose money.

Climbing and grounding are equally important imo its just that climbing takes a lot more skill, thought and takes longer to master than grounding, so obviously it should be higher paid. Plus from what I've observed and which I think is fairly important you can have a longer career grounding than climbing.

I think is fairly important you can have a longer career grounding than climbing.

To be honest, I don't think this is true, I think some people like the idea of being a climber, but don't "really" enjoy it and use their age as an "excuse" to give up.

I know climbers that stopped climbing at 35 "because of their age" come on!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno about you but I fell apart physically at 30 and ground work was forced upon me. Saying that my climber is 35 but still going due to the fact that his metabolism isn't dead like mine! My 107 kg and 6'4" frame is safer ringing with an MS660!

I'm 39 and still happiest when clambering around the canopy!