Terms and conditions - pay rates in particular

Just been reading another thread re day rate for 3 man team and tracked chipper etc. Got me thinking - how much should I be paying someone to feed a chipper, operate from a rope and harness etc etc. I ask cos someone recently told me I was grossly overpaying people! I know rates are regional but I'd like to hear some opinions on this:

I currently pay £120 a day (call that 8 hours max thus £15 per hour) to my climber. I would assume that less than £100 a day is insulting and would think £150 a day is perfectly reasonable.

I was recently talking to a groundie from another firm and I asked him if he minded telling me how much he was being paid - he did - £6.50 an hour. I was disgusted and felt very sorry for the chap. How on earth is someone supposed to survive on that?! It was this attitude that ran me into trouble with someone who thought £6.50 p/h was average and fair enough. Either I'm very out of touch with what people earn and too generous or everyone else is plain stingy. I believe you reap what you sow and my concience would struggle with paying a grown man less than £10 - £12 an hour.

Let rip........!

You sound like a decent chap to work for. I think £150 a day for 10 hours should be standard for an experienced and hard working climber. Obviously if your not getting climbing work in then it's differcult to justify the amount, as in Mr Ed's case, but if your mainly doing climber based work, then this should be the starting point.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when working for a local compay the groundie i.e. myself gets paid the same as the guy in the tree. under the idea that a good man on the ground is just as important as am good climber

This one goes round and round, the groudie v's climber. I don't agree with the division. If two guys are equal in skills and motivation, then either can climb the tree. Thus equal pay. If one is more adaptable,i.e. he can climb as well as run a job from the ground, then he is payed more. Both jobs are important, Climbing has and edge on skill set. I've never heard of agroundsman earning more than £100.

its probably a work placement, ive subbyed to firms with work placement lads, and they are actually not obliged to pay them anything

The course I'm doing requires we do some industry relevant work, something like the equivelant of two weeks, full time. I've been working since June and don't start again untill January. In that respect, even if I wasn't payed at all for that period, it's still pretty dismal. Anyway, appologies for this thread hijack, I'll make this my last post!

The truth is a lot of blokes aren't worth £20 a day! damn pleased I don't employ anyone these days, most of my employees spent more time standing around watching me work , with a big gormless look on there face and there hands in their pockets. I've seen the same thing with other firms as well, it wouldn't make a jot of difference regarding productivity if they were paid 1.50 a day or 150, roll on the recession............:thumbup1:

Sorry to go off topic..

Edited by Lee Winger

The truth is a lot of blokes aren't worth £20 a day! damn pleased I don't employ anyone these days, most of my employees spent more time standing around watching me work , with a big gormless look on there face and there hands in their pockets. I've seen the same thing with other firms as well

Sorry to go off topic..

Snap! I gave up on employee,s years back. It,s just me and the missus these days. No more late starts cos "there was a queue at the bakers" or "my budgie is ill" and both of us working towards a common goal.

Snap! I gave up on employee,s years back. It,s just me and the missus these days. No more late starts cos "there was a queue at the bakers" or "my budgie is ill" and both of us working towards a common goal.

Bad move that Stockers, she be giving you the "not tonight love I'm bushed" all the time.

Mind you, our lass doesn't work with me and I still get the "not tonight love" :confused1:

This one goes round and round, the groudie v's climber. I don't agree with the division. If two guys are equal in skills and motivation, then either can climb the tree. Thus equal pay. If one is more adaptable,i.e. he can climb as well as run a job from the ground, then he is payed more. Both jobs are important, Climbing has and edge on skill set. I've never heard of agroundsman earning more than £100.

i pay groundies exactly the same as climbers so now you have heard of someone that pays groundies more than £100 per day

i paid a lad on this site £170 per day and all he did was admire my climbing skills :001_tt1:and helped my groundsman/climber reduce a hedge and drag and chip up

Do you not need a groundsman that can climb as well in case of an accident or your not feeling too cracky that day

It is about time climbers realized the only time they are above groundies is when they are up a tree

i pay groundies exactly the same as climbers so now you have heard of someone that pays groundies more than £100 per day

i paid a lad on this site £170 per day and all he did was admire my climbing skills :001_tt1:and helped my groundsman/climber reduce a hedge and drag and chip up

Do you not need a groundsman that can climb as well in case of an accident or your not feeling too cracky that day

It is about time climbers realized the only time they are above groundies is when they are up a tree

Boo hiss Boo hiss. Climbers in my opinion are worth 40% more than groundies.......Goodun,s that is.