MS 660 Back to the factory, chain brake handle getting hot!

Jonny Burch

Finally!!! Got the Saw back from Stihl. All they said was that there was some fine dust in it causing problems. Both myself and my dealer had the saw cleaned and there's no way that was the fault IMO. Would it be wrong to think that there might be something more serious wrong and that Stihl are just replacing these parts and not telling the truth?

Jonny:001_smile:

Yep !

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally!!! Got the Saw back from Stihl. All they said was that there was some fine dust in it causing problems. Both myself and my dealer had the saw cleaned and there's no way that was the fault IMO. Would it be wrong to think that there might be something more serious wrong and that Stihl are just replacing these parts and not telling the truth?

Jonny:001_smile:

Sounds like the ms261 clutch issue, stihl keep sending em' out!

Wonder what would happen in a HSE visit, and your kickback protection was found to have melted. If the part fails when you need it most, it will cost you your life! 36" bar vs. Head/torso?

Sounds like the ms261 clutch issue, stihl keep sending em' out!

Wonder what would happen in a HSE visit, and your kickback protection was found to have melted. If the part fails when you need it most, it will cost you your life! 36" bar vs. Head/torso?

This thread is not what i want to read when i planning on getting a new 660 :confused1:

Husky 390 then ! :thumbup:

My 660 has had it's chainbreak melt too. Not that badly though, i think they all do it.

As for the 390 it's a great saw but mine vibrates loose all its bolts all the time. So much so it's been back to the dealers twice for repairs. They've contacted Husqvarna and its not a known issue. Just had all the threads retapped and new STIHL bolts in it.

My 660 has had it's chainbreak melt too. Not that badly though, i think they all do it.

As for the 390 it's a great saw but mine vibrates loose all its bolts all the time. So much so it's been back to the dealers twice for repairs. They've contacted Husqvarna and its not a known issue. Just had all the threads retapped and new STIHL bolts in it.

OOeerr . My 390 is newish so not done alot of work but not had those problems ...yet . I wanted another 385 to replace my stolen one but when I went in they did not have any and said they don't make them any more so got the 390 which seems identical . Its a high top wity the big soft wood dogs on a 28" bar . bet it flies on an 18 or so !

• 1 month later...
Well....surprise surprise the 660 is now back at the factory. Was ringing up a reasonable size Ash when the problems resurfaced. This time Stihl have given me a 2006 demo 660 (absolutely flies!) until they fix mine, which I reckon will be a while....

HI JONNY we have a 2006 one mate and its better then our 2009 one the 06 one flys :thumbup1:ask for a new saw job done thanks jon :thumbup: