Husqvarna 236 - Opinions

oldnwrinkly

Thinking about getting one so thought I would ask if there are any known issues with this model.

It will be used for firewood - we have a small Rayburn and a Villager stove so cut a few tonnes of wood P.A.

Used to use an old Solo 606, 38cc with a 12" bar so this looks like a direct 'drop in' replacement.

Anything else worth looking at? .... Proviso's - must be light and manoeuvrable as I am usually working on the slopes of our local steep valleys (and ravines) here in Wales and, given that for 6 months of the year it will lay idle, price is also a consideration.

I have thought about a SH 136/7 also but therein might lurk gremlins - although I have kept the old Solo going for 27 years and coped with most problems - unless it's a genuine low hours saw.

I have a 236 which I use as a chipper saw and for small fells/logging when I just can't be bothered to get a bigger saw out. The only problem I have had with it was with the plastic panel forming the oil channel which distorted when the bar-mounting nuts were tightened. If you use it as a small engined saw then it is very capable. Mine runs well and, once I had replaced the awful original 'safety' chain with 91VX, cuts well. I have seen them for sale at a dealer near me for £160 which is pretty good value to me. :001_smile:

Thanks all for the prompt replies and advice.

Problem is I cannot see a 345 or 350 listed on the Husqvarna web site and a quick web search didn't come up with any retailers selling them.

The 346 and 550XP are way beyond my budget considering any saw will only be used infrequently and also, as I really am getting to be 'old n wrinkly' (and getting increasing problems with arthritis!), I doubt I will still be sawing in three or four years time.

I would second what spud says as I have experience of both the saws he mentioned . Not had any dealings with a 236 but assuming its 36cc would seem a little weedy , perhaps ?

The 236 has a 38cc engine which is the same size I have been using for the past 27 years - although I imagine a modern Husky will have a lot more power per cc than the Solo's thirty year old design - ?

I can't say that power has ever been a real problem but I always keep the chain really sharp and the saw tuned well.

In fact I would have been quite happy to carry on using the Solo but, unfortunately, spare parts are no longer available so it will have to be retired, hurt.

Dave.

Sorry to hear you are suffering Dave , not a lot of fun . I have a body full of aches and pains ( wifes horse kicked me just lately just to add to it ! ) As you rightly say a well sharpened chain can make up for any amount of cc deficiency . I am a Husqvarna man through and through ( save for my ms 200t ) but there are other saws out there that would fit your needs I am sure . I recently sold an Oleo-Mac which I bought as a stop gap whilst others were in the shop . Although it was a plastic engine case type saw i was quite surprised with its performance . It was also very light . good luck mate . Regards Andy .

• 5 years later...

Hi

I have a new 236.  I am using extra tacky chain oil.  My problem is that the chain oil runs out twice as fast as the fuel and there is no adjuster on this model.

The manual states that the fuel should run out first - which is my experience with other saws for the last 50 years.

Unfortunately the chain runs dry before its noticeable.

I have tried under-filling the fuel tank but this is hit and miss and far from ideal as it reduces the already short run time.

Even in these freezing conditions I still  need to slow down the oil somehow.

I understand that there are High Viscosity extra tacky oils  - but which ones are the highest viscosity when the saw is hot?

As the saw is running well I don't want to richen the mixture to use fuel more quickly !!!!!

Might it be possible to partially obstruct the plastic channel where it delivers oil to the blade?

Expert advice appreciated.