How does chainsaw chain actually work??

Rob D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We might have the necessary camera - we've been filming laser melt pool solidification which is pretty quick. I'll ask.

Alec

Sounds good Alec keep us posted! I'll supply a few chains if you need.

• 1 month later...

My PhD was in molecular genetics and DNA fingerprint-design. I spent a long time developing medical diagnostics as a commercial scientist but then realised i didnt like people enough :) Now i use the same approach and techniques to develop ways to monitor environmental health so i try to use DNA analysis to see what has changed in terms of soil/water populations (microscopic organisms) or to detect 'problem' organisms. At the moment i am working on designing simple diagnostics for virus-caring nematodes (cause problems for potato farmers), trying to find out if the invasive new-zeland flatworms are adapting to our climate (which would suggest they will start to move southwards and decimate the earthworms further south) and a few other 'problems'

in my spare time i am a SCUBA instructor, a green-wood 'bodger' and a chainsaw carver :) hence the interest in how the chain actually works

It works just the same as a plane but with a side cutter

The point of the tooth and side plate cut the grain allowing the top plate or blade in the case of a plain, to take a shaving of which the thickness is regulated by the depth gauges.

The tooth is taking a shaving off for the full length of the cut, but there is only so much room to store the waste or shaving hence jamming can occur in longer cuts

Hence skip chain:thumbup:

Imagine a box shaped section tunnel . The top leading edge of the cutter sitting in the bottom of the slot and the tie strap links forming the roof of the tunnel . The distance between two consecutive cutter fills with chip and is carried along till it meets fresh air .