Morals.

Buzz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a site in town i was approached by a brickie to look at 'his' tree (his question was actually do you do homers). I popped round in teh comapny van he said 2 turkish boys said 2 days and 170 quid all brash to be left on site. easy job, reduce to fence and drop by 15ft. turns out that it wasn't his tree it was his neigbours and his neighbour was happy for teh brash to be stacked in his garden. the job just didn't feel right. I could have done it there and then but they were trying to force my hand and i didn't want to associate any shit that kicked off with the comapny. 170 quid for an hours easy work and i walked.....

Jamie

Its easy to have morals when times are good, there's food on the table and beer in the fridge! I defy anyone with a young family to feed, mortgage/rent to pay, to maintain their morals when things go tits-up!! Morals dont pay for food on the table, and surely (from a moral stand-point) your first priority is your family's well being, not some poxy little tree. :eek: Did I just say that!! :eek: THats the firing squad for me, then!:D

I understand you Andy but no one in the right mind would have done this job, not only was it road side in a very busy area but the guy clearly had no right to butcher someone else's tree's and i could tell the min he slurred his first words and smelt the alchol on his breath that he would not pay the money that job would have been worth.

I understand you Andy but no one in the right mind would have done this job, not only was it road side in a very busy area but the guy clearly had no right to butcher someone else's tree's and i could tell the min he slurred his first words and smelt the alchol on his breath that he would not pay the money that job would have been worth.

I wasnt having a dig about this instance, but more about morals in general. in the past companies have asked all kind of things of the workforce, to the point of being totally immoral. The bottom line is if you want to eat next week, you do the job. If not, bye-bye!

Heres a different moral situation for you guys.

I was working on the companys stand at the new forest show when this chap comes over asks about the wallnut that we sell.

Then he says that he planted a wallnut tree in his parents back garden when he was young and his ageing mother was going in to nursing home he wants to cut down this tree purly because he does'nt want any one else to enjoy or cut it down, start to explain about that tree spade machine to relocate it but then money is an issue.

I short this guy did'nt want to leave the tree for anyone else, or pay to move it but would brake the law by cutting it down him self cause he was'nt going to speak to his tree officer for fear of a tpo being put on the thing.

His attitude fustrated he had to walk away from him.

Thirdly the work which you have asked us to quote for contradicts current UK Arboricultural practise and as such should we be seen carrying out the work for you we would be damaging the reputation of our company unacceptably.

Hey guys,

Can you explain this to a person that has never been that far east? your UK Arboricultural practise - do you need a permit to remove a tree?

Thanks from across the pond

JZ

in a tree for fun

I think the section you actually quoted from Buzz's letter probably refers to the fact that they were being asked to cut a beech tree in half. I hope this is considered poor arboricultural practice no matter which side of the pond you are. Don't the ISA have a 'Why topping is bad' campaign?

As to permits to remove trees, in this particular case the trees were on someone else's land, so at the very least you need permission from the land owner. The UK also has a system for protecting particularly important trees and you need to get permission to work on such trees. There's information about this here: Protected trees