Morals.

Buzz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immoral would mean that it is wrong, whereas Amoral would indicate that there is no right or wrong.

Personally, I believe that all treework is unnecesary to trees, and that its just a way of making trees fit our urban space, and career's for arbo's.

A good businessman would be Amoral in this instance, as its making money that counts, not arguments of tree health.

On the subject of Matt's beech trees, I think the decision was a business one, not a Moral decision. He feels that undertaking the work is a bad decision because of the future damage it may do to the reputation of his business, and the possibility of not getting paid.

Who are we to tell people what to do with their trees? We can advise them, but if there are no legal (tpo) restrictions, they have the right to do what they like. Remember BS3998 is a guideline, not a rulebook.

What always surprises me is our willingness to fell trees left right and centre, but we baulk at cutting them in half...

Intresting stuff, I always think of it as wether you want to be a tree service/surgeon, or an arborist.

I'm only being very simplistic in my view.

I've worked with companies that will cut a tree in half if thats what the cleint wants, but also do what some of us consider quality ethical work.

I've also worked with companies that will only do whats best for the tree, and will do the utmost to talk the client round.

Where as the other adopts the attitude of its not for us to question why the client wants it.

Just an observation is all, not criticism.

i've been self employed for some time and found that peolple can come up with the old chestnut of " but matey down the road said he'd do it for this much" my reply has all ways been well get him to do it. at the end of the day if you drop the price of what you do some thing has to give time, materials, etc and that reflects on the service you provide.

I say keep your moral standard and youll reap the rewards customers that trust and apperciate a good clean professional job