Morals.

Buzz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a slightly different tack, I was sent a few years back, to cut down a lilac, no more than 6feet tall at an old ladies home. jumped out of truck, cut down lilac, chucked it in the back, about 5 mins on the way home. She had the money ready to pay, in cash, £170. I thought this was a bit high, but didnt say that to her, merely commented that she may have misunderstood the price and that it was unusual for staff to collect cash, (did it all the time) and to contact the office for collection. Quite honestly, I didnt want to be party to ripping off the elderly. Still dunno to this day if it was extreme, dont think I would have charged that much.

Good on you Matt and Anna it sounds like a good call.

I know some of us would do it, heck i've done the odd job i'm not to happy with (well out of public view!), there is the arguement we provide a service and hence have to do jobs that are not to best practice.

I think it depends in what direction you want to go in, i've done sympathetic reduction's on trees to try and keep people happy with them, for them to turn round and tell me i've not cut enough off, to cut in half, hack it right back etc etc.

I try to explain its not in their best intrest or the trees for me to do that, and walk away.

This tactic occasionally works, but i have lost work by trying to take the moral ground.

At the end of the day it comes down to what kind of arborist "I" want to be.

As for your arse, i'm sorry mate it does'nt do it for me.

I give 2 quotes one for what i think should be done say 30% reduction at most then the other trebled or quadroupled in price for the butchery that the customer wants...add some shigo photo copys or ive used articles from arb mags and then my opiniom on why it should not be done like so........

Ive found you will either get the job done your way or they wont come back at all wich is quite rare.

I think i'm going to have to steal your idea Matt! Sometimes I draw little diagrams to explain drop crotching, usually when you explain they realise you that you know what your doing and go for your reccomendations.

I've had really annoying jobs though, one guy got me to butcher a couple of his trees, but the situation and the fact they were self seeds I went ahead with the heavy pruning.

He trusted me and asked me to prune his very old Mulberry tree as it had lost a limb, so I went there and pruned it as hard as I thought neccesary to reduce weight and sail area without spoiling the look of the tree.

He paid promptly as usual, then phoned me a week later and said he thought the job i'd done was very professional and all but he'd like me to hack it back by over half! I asked him why, and he said he wanted more off so I would'nt have to prune it so freqeuntly??

I tried to explain that less is more, and if I took more off he would get vigorous re-active growth on poor unions, I could tell it was'nt sinking in. So I never went back and lost a good client.

Should I have butchered his Mulberry?

I did present cable bracing as an option to stop further branches spliting out, only i don't think he was worried about that.

It was a great specimen, in the middle of his big lawn out of the way, it made no sense to butcher it.

Personally I have no intrest working for people who don't care for there trees, I think i'm spoilt having worked for good tree companies

I've done a lot of horrific reductions. I'm an employee; what else am I supposed to do?

Saying that, I know I changed the way my previous employer looked at tree work, so hopefully, my karma is pretty even.

Devil's advocate: How can you think of pruning as being 'moral' or 'immoral'. Surely, the only moral standing you should consider is that of ripping off your customers or not.