Do you wear glasses? or have had eyes laser'd?

swinny

I always wear contacts at work. It is a pain if you get crap in your eye, but its usually not a problem to quickly take them out and don the specs.

I did really want to have laser eye, but last year i got a bit of sawdust in my eye, and it gave me an abrasion which lead to an infection and conjunctivitis, leaving a scar. Basically, if they cut a flap, the part they lift might tear because there is scar tissue in the centre of my eye.

The optimetrist (?) suggested i could undergo a slightly older procedure....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLgcjqD2WiU]Microkeratome - YouTube[/ame]

No freakin way.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glasses all the way, can be a pain when they get dirty or if it's really wet, but they also help keep saw chips out of your eyes.

Don't like the thought of poking around in my eyes for lenses and nowhere near brave enough for the laser surgery.

Also I'm not that blind, so if they do get wet/dirty/steamed up I can function without them.

£40 a month,thats expensive:blushing:

i pay £13 a month and get lenses posted to me quarterly by specsavers,i use monthly lenses,just put then in the solution every night.:biggrin:

Yep it's expensive but on average I lose or damage contacts all the time.... dailys work well for me.

It makes me look at lazer surgery again but the way I see it (:blushing:) is I can cope with my life wearing daily lenses... I couldn't if my eyes stopped working and as said I reckon my contacts actually protect my eyes.

There's such conflicting info from sites like this LASIK Complications, Risks - Top 10 Reasons Not to Have LASIK which is clearly run by people who have a business interest in stopping surgery and then on the other hand all the hard sell from the people offering surgery and how wonderful your life will be now you've had it!

I reckon most who have it do well but as time goes on it'll only get better....

i had mine lasered about 10 years ago,definatly best investment at the time.i went from needing glasses to find my glasses,not being able to recognize someone 4 feet away,to better than 20/20 vision that hasnt deteriated at all

dont know how its done now,but my op was with the slice/flap

Evening all, Just wondering if many wear glasses at work?

I wear glasses but not for work, but have decided after a well overdue eye test that i'm going to start using glasses more, it's silly not to.

I'm not blind, can see ok, used to get headaches due to a lazy eye.

So:

No glasses..... No point in this option

Glasses...... risk of coming off, what they like in the rain?

Contact lenses..... waste of time, i'm always getting stuff in my eyes and rubbing them.

Laser eye treatment.... ?

What do you do or have done?

Cheers Chris

Glasses are useless in our line of work, because:

1. They risk falling off (twigs catching)
  2. Useless when it rains
  3. In cold/moist weather, they fog up so you can't see anything
  4. In warm weather, wheat may drip from your eyebrows to the inside of the glasses, and fine dust (with oil residue) will stick to it. Impossible to clean without soap and water

I use one-day disposable soft lenses. They actually protect the cornea of your eyes against scratches, and if they come out (has happened to me a couple of times) you just pop another one in.

Laser treatment is good (if your eye condition s treatable with laser, don't count on it), but very expensive.

With regards to price of disposables: If you get these http://www.contactlensesexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.php?id=12 and wear them 5 days/week for 48 weeks/year it works out at £20/month average (if you buy 360 pairs)

Edited by morten

I wear contact lenses all the time for work (daily disposables). I actually think they help protect the eye as I don't seem to get dust in the eye half as much as I used to wearing glasses. I even had a fly land in my eye once, I could see the bloody thing but couldn't feel it because it was stuck to the contact lens, weird!!:lol:

Evening all, Just wondering if many wear glasses at work?

I wear glasses but not for work, but have decided after a well overdue eye test that i'm going to start using glasses more, it's silly not to.

I'm not blind, can see ok, used to get headaches due to a lazy eye.

If you've got a lazy eye, then laser treatment might not be an option. The problem with lazy eye is to do with how the images are processed in the brain, rather than a problem with the eye itself.

I tried lenses. The problem I found was that I felt my eyes got tired after 7-8 hours with them in, but at the time my working day was 11-12 hours, and I didn't fancy pulling them out when still covered in filth etc. I just went back to my glasses.

Yes, glasses aren't the best, especially in the wet or cold. The lenses also get wrecked over time, however hard you try to look after them.

The plus side is that you've always got a small amount of extra eye protection in addition to any PPE, and always having a piece of glass in front of your eye cuts down on the UV light which can cause cataracts - which is a higher risk for outdoor workers.

I recently went and had a free consultation for laser eye treatment. The price advertised was FROM £395 per eye. The actual price was closer £1100 per eye!

Apparently I've got big pupils!!

I walked away after haggling the price down by 10% and expect them to call me back in the near future with an improved offer - friends who have had it done have told me this is routine.

Problem is I snapped my glasses in half last week on a job and had to call the girlfriend out with my old back up specs.

What to do now? Buy replacement specs or wear old ones and wait for the call?

I have no problem with the procedure and the simulated results were impressive.

I have worn contact lenses for the last eight years, every now and then I get a bit of dust or muck but the lense seems to funtion well and the dust or muck comes out no problem.:thumbup1: As to laser treatment I looked into the procedure and didn't like the possiblity of the treatment going wrong and it could quite easily, very painfull.:thumbdown:

Same here.

The lenses I use are soft daily disposables but tend to wear them continuously for a week or two at a time. No real problem with dust. If anything does contaminate them then I just replace them earlier. They've protected my cornea on several occasions too.

I was thinking of having laser treatment, but mainly in case there is some massive disaster on Earth and I can no longer get hold of contact lenses. I really don't fancy trying to survive looking for food, fuel and shelter with short sight! As it is, the cost of laser surgery is too much for me - I spend about £80/year on lenses, and they're getting cheaper all the time. Laser surgery can need repeating 10 years down the line as eyesight changes, so in long term it might not be any cheaper. Also, I'm not keen on the possibility of having 'halos' around lights at night.