Unimog front mount type.

Would a hinged canopy help like on my landy (if pic works) but in reverse so you could do away with the shelf and may stop the problem skyhuck had with it building up?[ATTACH]92241[/ATTACH]

Yes it would work but no one does it. Probably because it's not necessary and would be much more expensive than on a Land Rover because the box is much bigger. Good idea though.

Erm, what's a Landy boy doing on here? Get orf!

:lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't work out how to post a link from my IPad

Type unimog and front mount chipper into utube, you will see the 1 I had with the extended chute, I still have in the shed if you ever get a chipper.

What's it made out of?

Why don't you have the chipper on front any more?

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tv00qj

..even older pic..my boy is now 19 and my twin boys are 16 and due to do CS38 in a few weeks time...now I feel old. This was a great little chipper. I've worked with a couple of big front mounts, one a turntable jenson 8" and one a Schliessing 800U (?). The chipped superbly but stuck out a long way in front and took a while to get used to driving. Both blew over the cab and right into the back of the chipbox without any probs.

59766088bc896_mogandboys.jpg.b1b68b99811c63d3b777d27b0d3ebd84.jpg

OMT - I think I got mine down the scrappies in the end. I think box-chute is less prone to blockage though. Its suprising how quickly ali wears out, ridges in the metal lift up and thats when the block-ups start.

Cool J The Tree.

Some question:

1. Did the TP work with that short chute?

2. Does the Jensen chute get blocked? (cos it looks the same as mine)

3. I see weights on the back in photo 3, how much of a difference did it make?

4. Is the shelf over the cab really important?

5. Is that linkage lift good or just too heavy?

Thank you.

Hi Oldmill,

A Qick reply to your questions

1. Yes the TP worked fine with the short spout, but we needed to build the "scoop" above the cab for it to fire into, albeit rather messily.

2. The Jensen chute never blocked, the blow or discharge from the end of the chute had to be seen to be believed, would easily fire the chips another 30 ft behind the unimog.

3. The weights are there to counteract the weight if the Jensen on the front. The chipper weighs about 1.9t- an awful lot of work went into getting the front suspension set up properly- not just a question of popping on a set of heavy duty springs- because the unimog has coil springs it has a panhard rod to stoping the front axle moving sideways-we had to make this adjustable to recentre the front axle with the extra weight on it.

4. The front linkage was a quick, easy option to fitting the TP on the front- in hindsight i would have cut off the 3 point mounting on the TP and welded on a DIN mounting instead-the Comer reverse gearbox is another can of worms!!

If i were to do this all again i would go down the route of a 1650 as the longer chassis makes balancing the bigger chippers an awful lot easier- also that Jensen could fill the chip bin in less than 10 mins.