So you wanna job? Do you really want a job?

Andy Collins

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showing who you are & what you've got (work video/climbing showcase etc) has got to be the sure fire way of getting yourself exposed & putting yourself toward the top of the candidate pile, but a well written & well structured Cv (as well) will probably open more doors with a wider group of employers.

having had many experiences I can say David is absolutley spot on there with a written C.V

it can be the difference between an interview and nothing.

For pitys sake, Im not saying, nor have at any point said do away with classic CVs and stuff, just if youre wanting work desperately, why not use every tool at your disposal to improve your chances. If this means sticking a vid up here to showcase your skills then this is the perfect platform, for job seeker and potential employer. Let your abilities do the talking, sell yourself, you are a product.

I think it's a great idea Andy.

When you see posts of 'I live near Dorchester any work going?' you may be the best worker in the world but you've just put off about 90% of potential employers.

Josh really great vid :biggrin: - one thing I'd add is perhaps a small piece to camera at the beginning or end introducing yourself, age, years of working in the industry, where you'd like to be working etc...

Yes I know a bit cringeworthy and not something to broadcast publicly but it's sort of putting a face to the work.

:001_smile:

I've used climbers as many have, and I've asked them of their experience and abilities, and pretty much it's pot luck whether or not they can do as they say they can. Now if I'd asked for a vid of their rigging skills I'd be able to judge a lot more quickly, and have more confidence. Admittedly, my skill in picking out some of the nations finest climbers :biggrin: to work with has not been affected by lack of videos, but one day I may get it wrong.