scared of heights?

Rik

I'm fine up trees, took a bit to get the nerve and always hated my system going slack at first, just didn't feel safe. Quite happy climbing around now, tricky bits I just take a bit longer and think about it more. If its getting far from the anchor, clip in, takes 2 seconds and could prevent a couple bruises!

Ladders, hate them. Can only just manage half way up a 7ft set of steps. If they are wobbly then there's even less chance of me going much higher. Can't stand em! Bought a 10ft set which come out for Conny hedges and that's about it!

for me its never been the fear of heights, does not bother me if i'm 15ft up or 150ft up, falling is not so much either, being in harness and roped in, its still going to hurt what ever height you fall from, so why think about it like that!

when i was struggling last year through fear of having an accident and never seeing maisy again, it really started to put me off, but getting over it was/is a major advantage to me now, its very rear now something makes me think those horrible thoughts but keeping them close in the back of my mind keeps me safe!

thinking about your job at hand is and should be your no1 thought through out your working day, this is what keeps you safe, this is what keeps you going home at night, everything else should either be thought about during breaks, dinner ect ect... concentration is the key, and reap the rewards of your well thought out planned and executed job....

Stay safe guys/girls, remember a good climber always wears stockings and suspenders.....:001_huh::thumbup1:

like has been said heights isn't a problem its falling form them. I'm pretty lucky that when i was learning i was pretty much forced to do stuff, it didn't matter how long it took me as long as i did it attitude, the ones that get me are any kind of popular, had a row of previously topped out pops, that had rot in the old cuts with about 70 foot above them, ropeing is never fun when u can pull the top which is a couple of metres away to your face to tie on haha

Over 50ft and my head is definitely in a different place. At 70ft I try to think of it as a 35ft tree on top of a 35ft pole. Was pruning a 70ft Ash a few weeks ago when I pulled a muscle in my arm and had to come down, and let one of our newish climbers have a crack at it. I was in a heightened state of awareness getting to the top, but once the saw started, mind on the job and get on with it, so knew he would find it challenging. I've seen this lad progress over the last year and he's competent and even a good climber on smaller stuff.

But I noticed how his climbing style changed as he got nearer the top. He was more awkward, clumsy, hugging the tree, doubting his equipment. I shouted up a few slags, and a few encouraging words. I was ready to call him down if he didn't loosen up as awkwardness could have caused him to sacrifice a good work position for a false feeling of security. Luckily, he came round, and the look of absolute stoke when he finished and hit the ground was worth the extra hour or so the job took.

Made me realise how fear can be a self fulfilling prophecy watching him. We all get the wobbles sometimes. It's important to get over them before continuing, not just keep cutting and hope you'll come around. As others have said visualising how each cut before you start the saw really helps.

Over 50ft and my head is definitely in a different place. At 70ft I try to think of it as a 35ft tree on top of a 35ft pole. Was pruning a 70ft Ash a few weeks ago when I pulled a muscle in my arm and had to come down, and let one of our newish climbers have a crack at it. I was in a heightened state of awareness getting to the top, but once the saw started, mind on the job and get on with it, so knew he would find it challenging. I've seen this lad progress over the last year and he's competent and even a good climber on smaller stuff.

But I noticed how his climbing style changed as he got nearer the top. He was more awkward, clumsy, hugging the tree, doubting his equipment. I shouted up a few slags, and a few encouraging words. I was ready to call him down if he didn't loosen up as awkwardness could have caused him to sacrifice a good work position for a false feeling of security. Luckily, he came round, and the look of absolute stoke when he finished and hit the ground was worth the extra hour or so the job took.

Made me realise how fear can be a self fulfilling prophecy watching him. We all get the wobbles sometimes. It's important to get over them before continuing, not just keep cutting and hope you'll come around. As others have said visualising how each cut before you start the saw really helps.

good approach - rookie climbers want to impress even if they are out of their depth -

Also experienced climbers - if they are not happy with something (too windy, driving rain etc) I dont pressure them - if their not happy the jobs postponed

Sounds strange but conditions can affect your nerve I find, such as working on a miserable day on 4hours sleep as opposed to a sunny day on a good nights kip.

To an extent for me its the positions/tree itself that can make me nervous. I can be totally chilled 70ft off the ground if I know I have a good anchor and its a nice position ... but then I've had times on a pole with a funny angle and I've started to get elvis leg barely 20ft off the ground :confused1: For me its when I feel I could lose control that the nerves kick in, for example when you feel your going to slip on a branch walk, I know I won't fall but its that split second of suddenly losing control and being totally dependant on your equipment ... that and big swings often hurt.

The way I get through it is to think of looking from the ground at me as a groundsman ... things never seem to look scary at all from the ground and you have to focus your mind and not let you freak yourself out. If its a skinny, horrid ascent I look at a point and think thats where I'm going to next and so on rather than 1 big dodgy looking stem.

As much as I love spiking, the introduction of the top anchor is always welcomed even if you did think you were totally comfortable.

Pussy :lol:

Get me in for the biggest, baddest tree and let me prove you wrong .... plus if its high enough you won't be able to see the look of terror on my face nor the elvis leg anyway :001_tt2::lol:

Rec climbing with no-fear dave has pushed me ... I don't think he'd show fear even at the top of a tree that was falling :laugh1: + I'm cheaper :001_tt2::laugh1: