scared of heights?

Rik

Adam im going threw a similar scenario as you I have a little girl just turnt one and every time I climb all I think about is her and I get paranoid that I'm going to screw up, before esmee was born I was fine.

seriously mate, i have been climbing for 12 years 14 years in the trade, even my first climb i was never as scared as i had been on some occasions last year..........its crazy, had a nice chat with rupe and he suggested i get my self on a refresher coarse, was well worth it just for the reassurance mate, you know everything is gonna be fine but you can't help but feel like you aint going home, i know how your felling mate, either harden the F up mate or get your self on a refresher.....or another cs unit maybe could do it?

good luck though mate, stay safe.....

Focus on the job and give yourself continuous positive feedback....

It would be ironic to injure yourself because you're worrying about injuring yourself ....

I've had a few minor accidents and each time it was because my mind was not on the job.

absolutely spot on mate.............:thumbup:

It would be ironic to injure yourself because you're worrying about injuring yourself ....

I've had a few minor accidents and each time it was because my mind was not on the job.

it always seems to happen that way, concentrating on either summat completely different and irrelevant, or concentrating so much on summat important that u zone out of everything else thats going on around you! at times i must admit if were on a difficult awkward job that may require big rigging etc my head seems to get full of a million things that are all simultaniously happening around me.. at that point i have to physically stop. sit back for a couple of minutes and take stock and refocus!

interesting. i had a freakout when i first started climbing when i had to section down a norfolk pine , i think alot had to do with the scenario before hand because i did one exact;y the same on the same section the week previous. before i started doing my freakout pine i had to rescue a cat from the very most apical tip of a large cypress aprox 25 meters, at that stage that was the highest i had climbed it was also climbing above my roping point and flip lining into a section slightly smaller then my forearm. It took me about fifteen min from that point to get this kitty cat and by then my nerves were shot but i was stoked i got it and felt a huge feeling of acomplishment . then came the norfolk pne straight after that and i had been pushed well out of my comfort zone .ad i freaked out and knew if i didnt come down i would start to panic. that feeling of not acomplishing something was pivotal in my attiude to climbing . i think that height is a factor in which people start to second guess everything .... roping point... gear etc . If you have done your checks you should be fine . I think everyone has a fear of being up high. climbers are the people who can push past that fear(wether it extreme or slight) and carry on to do the job.

i think on monday its going to be another situation where second guessing is going to be an issue ;)

good to see that its a normal thing cheers guys

Adam im going threw a similar scenario as you I have a little girl just turnt one and every time I climb all I think about is her and I get paranoid that I'm going to screw up, before esmee was born I was fine.

I know just what you mean. My girls are 2 and 4 and I'm just getting on with things again now. It's always going to be that extra thing in your mind on those difficult jobs.

Absolutely.

There is nothing so powerful as the mind. With, perhaps the exception of one of my guys farting in the cab:lol:. I can still remember the time when I no longer thought of the height when in the canopy of a tree. Now it's just snotty, obnoxious trees that have little or no grip that cause me concern. Most of my injuries, saws notwithstanding, have resulted from small distance slips.

I know just what you mean. My girls are 2 and 4 and I'm just getting on with things again now. It's always going to be that extra thing in your mind on those difficult jobs.

i had that thought once when climbing, and my little one isnt here until early june!

Thanks for the replies guys, Im finding the best way to not think of the little one when I'm at work is to not call the misses during the day because I'f I do are main convo is allways on bubba. It's amazing the power children can have over you. Don't worry Adam iv gone down the route of man up! Il be fine.

Edited by skyhuck
language.