Freelance Climber tips please

mcs tree services

Thinking of getting out there as a freelance climber and was hoping someone would have some general advice on the subject, eg getting work and minimum gear / insurance requirements. i have quite a bit of experience climbing some whoppers, but please dont worry about stating what you might think obvious. thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full climbing kit, rigging gear (sometimes), 200t, bigger saw. (you dont want to borrow anything, not a good look imo)

You won't need pl insurance as you will be covered under whoevers job it is.

Edited by alex_m

Be clear on how long a days work is, agree hourly rate if days are long.

Only use your own kit.

Don't work for people who will not provide a trained rescuer.

Agree whether or not you will charge for last minute cancellations, ie that day. Another common trick is after you knock out a job a record speed then they only want to pay you half a day.

Work out during the busy times, when works thick and fast, who will keep you going at quiet times. Look after those clients even if it means turning down a boetter paid one off.

Be prepared to work 50 percent harder

Be brave enough speak up when a job is badly planned or not practical within the time.

In my experience you.will.either work for good firms.who.are.busy or people who haven't got a clue and can't do the work themselves. Either way a good subby is employed to make problems go.away rather than to create them.

It's been a long time since I.subbed but generally thats what I found. If you are a very good climber its worth.teaming up.with a good groundy you can work with swiftly. That way doesn't matter if your employed by a cow boy.outfit.as you.and your.groundy should manage and you know you have a reliable set of eyes on the deck.

Good posys above , Non liveried clothing , gotta be a right wind up to se someone walking around in a competitors tshirt or brand of beer on the front of it. Plain unsignwritten motor too.

Dont talk about what rate you are on thats strictly between you and the gaffer .

Smaller firms agree a rate and what kit you bring along. Have ended up bringing along all the gear to do a big takedown before and wondered whats going on , that cost extra these days.

Gibbon, you cant have it both ways

i.e. you cant agree how long a day is and hourly rate, then moan if they want to pay you half when you get a job done in half a day. Its got to be one or the other.

But the important thing is to find out, and then agree on how long there is on a job. If its got a day on it, then its a day no matter when you finish it, but if you take longer than a day then your not going to be asked back so upto you to do it in the time allowed.

To the OP, the other thing you need is to be the best climber in your area, if not then price is the only thing you can compete on.

Always agree type and when payment will be received before the job.

ask to see planning consent before the job gets started,you don't want to get it in the neck from a tree officer do you .

Try to have numerous companies to work for,I made the mistake of keeping all my eggs in one basket ,not good when I fell out with that company.

Let your climbing to the talking,even if your a great climber and want to tell the world .when I speak to potential new people to work for I make it clear I'm not anything amazing ,but I do the job right .

These are my view,hopefully they make sense.

Steve