Show us your website!

button1803

Yeah i used them. I just did a google search and rang around a load of places getting prices etc. I just kinda felt at ease with them and they had decent reviews. Did they design your logo as well? I like your colour scheme bud.

They did some of my content initially, but didnt really understand the whole tree thing i dont think, so im tweaking it all slowly.

Yeah did logo as well. I'm not sure about it, seems a bit stretched. I picked the colours as I wanted it to be quite chilled. Buying a house or getting planning is stressful enough so I wanted to inject a bit of calm so not all in your face when you look at it. Not sure it works but that was the thinking.

Same here about tweaking the content. :thumbup:

We've just re-done ours,Tree Surgeon Edinburgh & Scotland | TD Tree & Land Services it still needs work but its coming together, any constructive criticism appreciated, and a Facebook like if you can, see the bottom of each page... I have a few more pages yet to add, a gallery being one, and I was thinking of adding a page on storm damage. as we have quite a lot of nice pics now.

Please feel free to copy ideas but not content! I found out recently that another arbtalker had copied pages word for word off our old site (well his web guy had). As duplicate content has a negative effect on rankings I'd rather that didn't happen.

Anyway let rip with the comments..

Andyd1606 - Re getting links in.

Part of googles original algorithm put a lot of importance on links from other websites. The reasoning was that if someone links to another website, then that website has to be quite good, so it got bonus points allocated to it. Google also looked at the text (anchor text) that was used in the link. This was all many years ago and SEO guys started making 'link farms' and using every trick in the book to artificially gain links. So google had a rethink and began to make algorithms that could detect people just swopping links for ranking purposes or 'link farms', as opposed to genuine 'natural' links that were honest recommendations for that website. Now it is difficult to fool google and they can easily spot anything unnatural going on.

In my opinion... the golden rules for linking are as follows:

1) Never join any scheme promising links to your website or randomly exchange links. You could start linking your website to websites that have been banned by google. That will have a negative effect on you.

2) Never buy any links from another website.

3) Link naturally to other websites IF it makes sense and could be useful to your readers. Remember, google wants to rank websites that are good for visitors and helpful. So if you are writing about types of chainsaws, linking to a useful review page or reference page will tick that box. Even if they don't link back, google will appreciate that you are linking and being helpful. Don't go mad, but a few links here and there I'm sure is a good thing to do.

4) If you do make a link to another website, make sure that the website is a decent one. A good test is to search for it in google just to make sure it hasn't ben banned.

5) Every few months, make sure your links are still working. Dead links are not good.

6) Only links from pages that are related to your topic have any value as far as google is concerned. So a link from a page on your wife's website about 'Alcohol Addiction' will not help your page about 'Logs for sale'! The best links are from a page related to the same topic as you and are in the middle of a paragraph. For instance, this would be a good link to have....

"I recently bought some logs and found a new [link]Firewood supplier[end of link] in Perthshire."

7) Always ask people to link to you and jump on every opportunity, but if you write really good informative stuff, people will link naturally anyway.

8) Don't forget that links from one page on your website to another can have a lot of value. For instance, you do landscaping and sell logs. On your home page, if you have two links, one to a landscaping page and one to a logs for sale page, the 'anchor text' you use for those links is very important. Whatever text you use, google will take as an indicator of what that page is about. So, think what people may search for and use that for the text in the links. E.G. Don't just use "landscaping' as the link text, but use "Landscaping in Surrey". This will really help you to rank for that phrase.

Links used to be very important, but not so much now, because SEO's can easily fake hundreds of links in. One or two links from quality websites can do more for your rankings than hundreds of low quality links. My advice would be to write quality pages and let it happen naturally. Having said that, if you have a friend who has an on theme website, asking him to link to you from a quality and well written page is bound to help.

• 3 weeks later...

If I was you I'd take your address off your website, now't like giving the thieves a heads up.

The enquiry box 'bleeds' over the writing.

Edit: Lowestoft beat me to it.

If I was you I'd take your address off your website, now't like giving the thieves a heads up.

The enquiry box 'bleeds' over the writing.

Edit: Lowestoft beat me to it.

Yeah been meaning to sort that!!