Gannoderma

andy2

im afraid not but i did have look and there was only a thin strip of sound wood around the edge about inch all the way around diameter of the truck was about 2-3ft.There was a obvious compartmentalition line separating the thin strip of wood the remaining wood apperd to be white rot with cracks originating from the center.

I was thinking that it was panic frucation the last tier but i wasn't sure if what this years growth ?

It's not really proof of a rule though is it? What about the unquantified number of trees with a t/r of less than 0.3 that didn't fall over?!

Argh the ones with retrenched/die back canopies, sheltered or pruned, or just happen to be standing at the time of observation, but for how long.......

T/R is a very good guideline, and I am really surprised it was ever questioned, I know thats the whole point of science, to question.

All I am saying is that if we had a minimum T/r ratio tree with full canopy and did not do anything we would be what?

what would you do?

Argh the ones with retrenched/die back canopies, sheltered or pruned, or just happen to be standing at the time of observation, but for how long.......

T/R is a very good guideline, and I am really surprised it was ever questioned, I know thats the whole point of science, to question.

All I am saying is that if we had a minimum T/r ratio tree with full canopy and did not do anything we would be what?

what would you do?

I agree it's a good guideline but I just dislike it's overuse as a golden rule or something that's claimed to be proven. Every tree is different (as you well know) and should be assessed independently accounting for the myriad of factors that affects its ability to stand or fall...

I recently inspected an open grown mature lime with a full crown that had a t/r ratio of 0.15! It may well fail any time soon, but it has lasted a good few years since the t/r was 0.3....thereby showing that there are no 'rules'.

You know I am playing devil's advocate here Tony - I respect Mattheck's work.

We need more research/statistics on tree failures to better inform these decisions.

Apologies for the slight derail.........

You ain't no fool! Sorry for talking in arb riddles.

T/r ratio is the ratio of the thickness (t) sound wood (aka 'residual wall) to the radius ® of the tree stem. Dr Claus Mattheck's work suggests that a ration of less than 0.3 (or 30% if you like) is a critical ratio beyond which a tree is highly likely to fail if it has a full crown.