Td5 Or Tdci....?

Buster

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a TD5 and thought it was mint, but...... I was told through the grape vine that the MOD did not buy the TD5 as it was prone to breaking down???

Dont know how true this is but i thought id let you know just in case there is some truth in it :thumbup1:

Good luck with the hunt though mate, but wouldnt you rather have a Hi-Lux :001_tt2::lol::thumbup1:

HI CHRIS land rovers hold there value better then a hi.lux ref remap see j fern at matlock he one of the best in the uk thanks jon :thumbup:

the military did not go for the td5 as it was to technical so all there landrovers had the tdi 300 fitted instead of the td5

HI BOLT yes your right mate the use the 300 tdi but there not stander ones as there 2,7 lt so lots more TQ like a remap td5 how i no a mate works on them thanks jon :thumbup:

A few years ago everyone would tell you that the td5 was crap and that the TDI was the best thing ever. This is because the real land rover enthusiasts don't buy new ones, they hate change, and nothing new can possibly be as good as their old bus. So they buy older ones so that they can spend their time adding bits and fixing them. Now that the td5 has been around for a while the enthusiasts are running them too and hey presto they are now the best thing since sliced bread.

I have never owned a td5 but have driven them and know plenty others who have owned them. They are good. Better than a tdi..... but not as good as the tdci. Trust me in another 5 years there will be loads of beardy real ale drinking landy boffins going on about how good the tdci is and how much better than whatever the latest engine happens to be.

Here are some facts, a longer stroke engine gives more torque, the tdci has a longer stroke than the td5 and therefore produces more torque. Both engines can be chipped of course, but consider this: a local tyre fitter who I know runs a fleet of defenders, he had to get all his td5's chipped for towing his heavy trailers with earthmover tyres etc.. When the tdci came out he found that they didn't need chipping. They are the same HP on paper but the extra low down torque of the tdci and its 6 speed gearbox make it a much better tow truck. The 6 speed box is also much more pleasant to drive, and so is the interior.

I have had a tdci since I bought it new in 2008, it has been excellent, and is now pushing 90k miles, used every day, hammered towing every day. I can't fault it. and given the choice I'd choose it over a td5 any day.

But the decision is yours. Just try not to be too swayed by the beardys.:sneaky2:

Well i have driven NA, TDI 200, 300, TD, Td5's and TDCis and the drive does get better the newer they are. I currently have a Td5 which is great (might get it chipped though) it pulls great drives well on and of road and is quieter than my old 200. The tdci i have only driven briefly and it drove lovely, the 6th gear i found hand on the longer journeys. But never got to work it. I recon its a good vehicle but, they have tried to make the interior to fancy making it smaller in the cab and i feel with the dash a little less practical. but either way I think you will get a good vehicle.

Are you going for second hand if you go for the TDci

A few years ago everyone would tell you that the td5 was crap and that the TDI was the best thing ever. This is because the real land rover enthusiasts don't buy new ones, they hate change, and nothing new can possibly be as good as their old bus. So they buy older ones so that they can spend their time adding bits and fixing them. Now that the td5 has been around for a while the enthusiasts are running them too and hey presto they are now the best thing since sliced bread.

I have never owned a td5 but have driven them and know plenty others who have owned them. They are good. Better than a tdi..... but not as good as the tdci. Trust me in another 5 years there will be loads of beardy real ale drinking landy boffins going on about how good the tdci is and how much better than whatever the latest engine happens to be.

Here are some facts, a longer stroke engine gives more torque, the tdci has a longer stroke than the td5 and therefore produces more torque. Both engines can be chipped of course, but consider this: a local tyre fitter who I know runs a fleet of defenders, he had to get all his td5's chipped for towing his heavy trailers with earthmover tyres etc.. When the tdci came out he found that they didn't need chipping. They are the same HP on paper but the extra low down torque of the tdci and its 6 speed gearbox make it a much better tow truck. The 6 speed box is also much more pleasant to drive, and so is the interior.

I have had a tdci since I bought it new in 2008, it has been excellent, and is now pushing 90k miles, used every day, hammered towing every day. I can't fault it. and given the choice I'd choose it over a td5 any day.

But the decision is yours. Just try not to be too swayed by the beardys.:sneaky2:

I'm with Tom on this one and i'm a beardy, ale drinking, pot bellied sort of guy, who enjoys a really good moan about life, but life with my puma is growing on me in a good way. I think they pull ok and fly along the motorway even with out a chip.:thumbup1:

Ditto that Tom. We've got a 2010 tdci HCPU and work it hard and it's never missed a best, pulls like a train towing anything and will carry 1.5 ton and still pull 3.5 behind it happily!

I'd have tdci if I could afford one for myself.