tirfor maintenance

bill

I looked into one of these when one came up on ebay a year or two back. As far as I remember, it is a device through which a rope passes and which clamps securely to the rope my means of the handle visible on the left in the photo (the opposite end to the wire rope tail attachement). A sort of industrial Gibbs ascender, in some ways.

The purpose of the device (as far as I recall) is primarily as a safety device for working at height, but it did occur to me that it could also be used to lock off a tensioned rope whilse re-rigging for a further pull.

In the end I decided that my life was just great without one!

Edit - just checked and found this online "The Blocstop secures loads or for use on manriding equipment. A "Tirfor" type jaw block fitted in the Blocstop which locks onto the wire rope main suspension rope or secondary rope.

Automatic operation of the holding mechanism. Operation can be checked at any time." See TorqHoist specialty distributor of overhead lifting and rigging equipment

Incidentally, was it someone from this forum who just bought the Trewhella winch from a seller in Hook for £205 on ebay? It looked a good 'un, a bargain for someone.

Edited by Treewolf

You're welcome. I suspect the reason that they are so cheap is because no-one can really figure out why they want one, other than it is top quality gear and "it's bound to come in handy one day".

There's actually at least one other one on ebay at the moment (search for "tirfor" in all categories include titles and descriptions) which is actually described as a winch - clearly the seller hasn't a clue what it really is either!

(search for "tirfor" in all categories include titles and descriptions) which is actually described as a winch - clearly the seller hasn't a clue what it really is either!

...Wouldn't have found mine unless you searched for 'Tifor'!

• 6 years later...

This is an ancient thread but rather than start a new one I will add to this.

I have an old 30cwt Tirfor and it has got prgressively harder to engage the release lever. I'd say it is now borderline impossible. So I took it apart today and it is caked inside with as ll sorts of gunk and crusty black stuff and the release spring is so gunged up it can't fully compress whuich is why I can't engage the lever. A full can of WD40 later applied at point blank range and some of the crud is off, but that's just the bits I can reach.

Previous posters have suggested soaking in diesel, and I'd be tempted to scrub the innards in diesel with a (disposable) kitchen sink scrubbing brush in a large (very large) bucket as I can't see anything else removing enough crud to get it clean. The decal says to oil with lashings of heavy gear oil regularly, but someone has used axle grease and every pine needle and sand grain and swarf has adhered to it like non-setting glue.

Any thoughts on this approach, anyone? Any contributions would be appreciated.

I'll try and remember to take a pic of the innards tomorrow, as I have to open her up again anyway as I forgot to put one of the bits back in. Not a small bit either...

I've never taken mine apart. Could you soak it in degreaser then put a pressure washer on it? Scrubbing brush/tooth brush for the stubborn bits perhaps.

I was thinking similar; soak it in Gunk, pressure wash clean, let dry, then soak in chain oil.