tirfor maintenance

bill

In response to a  request from Mackie and for the benefit of anyone that has to take a Tirfor apart and is having bother lining up the short bar that links the two rams (if you ever have to do it you will immediately appreciate this problem). See attached picture, take about 0.5m+ of very strong cord but narrowest diameter you can manage (3mm paracord ideal). Thread it through the hole in the casing at the back of the winch (see photo). Pass it around the  metal bar that links the rams, and go back through the hole again.

Now, with everything to hand and all the bits in place, pull the cord back until the bar is in line with the slot of the bottom casing. Pull up on the cord to lock it off, then put the top  casing on and locate the bar in the slot on the top casing. Get a bolt or two on sharpish, but don't completely do up any bolt near the cord. You can then release the lock on the cord, the bar should be held now by the casings, and you can pull the loose cord through and out of the housing. Then finish tightening  and putting back the remaining bolts.

Hope that helps. It's even easier with two people as one can pull and hold the cord while the other assembles the casing.

winch.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I recently scored an ancient 30cwt tirfor T-13 on eBay for 99p when no one else bid on the auction. I'll be pretty chuffed if I can figure out if it's safe to use. There's one thing that maybe looks different from everyone else's photos that I need advice on:

So there's a slot cut into both sides of the casing, close to where the cable should enter the winch. A small bar pokes through this slot from the inside of the winch. It's obviously securing part of the mechanism. Every photo shows this so it must be by design. My question is- on your T-13, does a bar poke through on BOTH sides of the winch?

On mine, there's a bar poking through on one side like this:

But on the other side the slot hole is empty like this:

I'm wondering if something has come adrift or sheared off inside? It would be awesome if someone could confirm what their T-13 looks like. Should both slots be filled or just one?

A very wordy way to ask a simple question I know...

15918547261203454562101865111249.jpg

15918548671721750395373558448918.jpg

• Like 1

If I recall correctly that is the safety catch for the rope release lever and does only stick out on one side, it's flush on the other. You'd press that in in order to be able to move the release lever backwards (towards the anchor point) to release the rope and allow it to be pulled through towards the load. It should pop out again when you push the rope release forward to re-engage the jaws and grip the rope.

It should stick out on one side only, but be flush on the other. When pressed (against an internal spring) it will stick out on the normally flush side. if you look at the video in the link on page 4 of this thread, especially at around the 5m24s mark, you can see clearly what is inside the box at this point.

It does look as though there is something amiss with yours, I'm afraid.

That does look to be a fairly old machine, I think,

Edited by Treewolf
Spelling, as usual!

Thanks for the input guys. I actually plucked up the courage to open it up and take look myself. I was afraid of things pinging but it's as straightforward as everyone says.

I can confirm that you definitely should see bars in both slots. Someone must have opened it up and reassembled it wrongly at some point. The component that's supposed to be located by the slots is pictured below. The end closest to the camera is the bar that bridges across to both slots.

It looks like it'll be fine once I've cleaned it up. There's a bit of surface rust to deal with but I'm convinced that it's over 40 years old so it's doing very well. The one thing that nobody tells you is that the case bolts require Whitworth spanners! Neither metric nor modern imperial fit!

15921274300549139685147142115334.jpg