My First proper Job - and quetions

ATC1983

You'll learn that having good equiptment in top notch condition makes the difference between making money and losing money on a job.

Having a 2nd machine as backup is ideal....

Obvs this is dependant on having funds for a 2nd machine but you cannot run a successful business with poor unreliable tools.

No the issue was the strimmer wire got caught, and wouldln't dislodge. Also I wasn't using a self-winding head, and not being used to the new one kept feeding the line too far through on the separate opening, causing it to fly out after every 10 secs.

Stupid I know - but I did say I'm a beginner.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're under-pricing and building up to have problems. £15 for a 15 minute mow is more like it. But not £15 to weed and seed and do everything else. Have you got a mower? Strimming and raking is no way to do the job efficiently. You're also far more likely to take out a window or injure some with a stone flicked from a strimmer than you are with a mower. As for the patio, you could have swept it off first to make sure no stones (or blown it if you had a blower) and then buzzed the weeds and moss off with the strimmer. Much quicker than the hoe.

As for the weed and feed, and the seeding, thing - follow instructions as it makes things easier and you're less likely to have problems.

Ok point taken - but so far noone has come back and told me how to approach the weeding issue - is it better to put down a course of selective weedkiller, then come back later for weedkilling, or kill one weed at a time, or manually dig? Bearing in mind the public I'm dealing with are looking for general tidy-ups - not entry into a national contest. I'm asking in order to help get it right in future.

Ok point taken - but so far noone has come back and told me how to approach the weeding issue - is it better to put down a course of selective weedkiller, then come back later for weedkilling, or kill one weed at a time, or manually dig? Bearing in mind the public I'm dealing with are looking for general tidy-ups - not entry into a national contest. I'm asking in order to help get it right in future.

Without seeing state of lawn hard to determine best course of action but usualy a good mow followed by a application of a selective weedkiller and a fertiliser followed by overseeding is usualy enough to regenerate a lawn if not rip it up and returf

Without seeing state of lawn hard to determine best course of action but usualy a good mow followed by a application of a selective weedkiller and a fertiliser followed by overseeding is usualy enough to regenerate a lawn if not rip it up and returf

K thanks - I think, generally this is what I have done. I've blitzed the majority of weeds with the strimmer, and taken the weeds and grass right down, then applied that course. I think my principal fault then is not having waited to apply seed - hopefully it won't be slaughtered with the weed and feed - the instruction was basically not to apply when reseeding, but I was trying to avoid the main areas I was reseeding with it.

I presume enough grass will start to come out anyway and make a show.

Basically you can't mow, fertilise and reseed a lawn on the same visit. You need to be arranging to come back to reseed.

Also I wouldn't do any sort of gardening for less than £10 an hour. I would definitely be charging more when using power tools as you have to take in to consideration fuel and consumables.

If you can't afford back up tools (I can't either), you could do with learning how to carry basic repairs. All my tools have their own tool box and I try to carry basic spares for each tool. Your local dealer should be able to advise what you need.

K thanks - I think, generally this is what I have done. I've blitzed the majority of weeds with the strimmer, and taken the weeds and grass right down, then applied that course. I think my principal fault then is not having waited to apply seed - hopefully it won't be slaughtered with the weed and feed - the instruction was basically not to apply when reseeding, but I was trying to avoid the main areas I was reseeding with it.

I presume enough grass will start to come out anyway and make a show.

I would generaly have waited a week then seeded but you mite be ok cover yourself by putting some more on next week. overseeding can be abit hit and miss but current weather you should be ok grass seed needs good contact with soil to germinate somtimes running over with a roller helps press it into the soil. Good look everyones got to start somewhere maybe best to ask before if u need advice could save u some time. Also dont undevalue yourself just because your starting out people will come to expect it and not want to pay more as you get better . You need to earn a wage for yourself and a wage for your buisness to pay for new better equipment that inturn will earn you more money

with your grass seed, weed killer etc, have a shop around, some garden centres sell it loose and cheaper than b&q etc, so you can buy in bulk at half the price.

as others have said, learn basic maintainance and carry spares until you can afford a spare. Save up and buy decent gear, but dont forget about insurance, pl, 3rd party etc.

Also £10 ph min charge rate. You wont be able to afford anything if you charge less.

never be affaid to ask questions, but please follow the instructions.

we all make mistakes, (things happen) its how you deal with it that counts.

think about some training.

good luck.

I got a proper job once. I held it down pretty good but soon discovered that to stay loose and mess around with this and that, you know, imaginative projects, adventures, escapades and affairs then a proper job is the last thing you really want.

Also if you never ever borrow any money, that will ensure that no one ever has ownership of you which allows you to continue with your messing around with interesting projects.

Pretty soon you'll find that you've been notice by people who need those kind of interesting skills you've developed during all that messing around. You'll find you're getting paid for messing around doing interesting stuff that you're starting to really be good at. Then you'll notice that you're living pretty well and you love what you do.

A lot of people work for like 90% of their lives so , if you don't like your work then you don't like your life.

Don't let proper jobs get in the way. that's my advice.

Edited by Al Baker